Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ8 - The Unboxing

Gina

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad to see that it arrived OK Gina. Now we just need the nice weather to arrive.

Hopefully I managed to book one of the November delivery to replace the rather inaccurate CGEM.

Me too!

Great photos Gina...it sure looks like a beast!

Re the altitude adjustment. I know that the tommy bar can be removed from the worm. Can the piece that the tommy bar slides into also be removed? It looks like it'd remove a potential cable-snagger?

The rain went away for long enough to go out and get the NEQ6 and pier top plate.

So I can now show the two mounts side by side - only on their sides on the floor though.

post-13131-0-02584900-1382462408_thumb.j

Glad it arrived and all is ok when unpacked, i don't suppose there was a packet of "Clear Sky" in any of the boxes..... :)

Thank you :)  "Clear Sky" ha ha ha - more like the opposite - wind, rain and thunder storms is the forecast :(

I'm glad to see that it arrived OK Gina. Now we just need the nice weather to arrive.

Hopefully I managed to book one of the November delivery to replace the rather inaccurate CGEM.

Thanks Stphen :)  We just might get a break in the weather tomorrow but not holding my breath.  So many times the forecast for tomorrow" is fine but tomorrow never comes :D:(

Hope you get yours :)

The rain went away for long enough to go out and get the NEQ6 and pier top plate.

So I can now show the two mounts side by side - only on their sides on the floor though.

attachicon.gifUnpacking 25.jpg

It definately looks more heavy duty and rigidly built. But doesn't look that much bigger...especially to what my mind was scaling it at lol. Hope the rain goes away soon other wise I feel you might end up pulling out your hair lol. I know I would be if I couldn't play with my new toy as soon as I got it.

P.S. I'm looking forward to the permanent PEC recording and the ability to unlock, move the scope manually, relock and have the scope still know where it is.

Yes, that should be really great :)  This mount seems in an entirely different league from the NEQ6.  This one looks professional :)

Me too!

Great photos Gina...it sure looks like a beast!

Re the altitude adjustment. I know that the tommy bar can be removed from the worm. Can the piece that the tommy bar slides into also be removed? It looks like it'd remove a potential cable-snagger?

Just had a look and there's an Allen screw that appears to be holding it onto the shaft but I took it out and couldn't shift anything.  Looks like there may be a pin holding it on as well.  Mind you, I haven't looked at the instruction manual yet :D

Nice one Gina, looks a lovely piece of kit :-) . It looks like the EQ8 can go be fitted directly to a flat surface and no need for an adaptor plate like the 6! Bet you can't get hold of an EQ8 soon!

Steve

Yes, lovely :)  And yes, it goes straight onto a flat plate with just various holes and the AZ post - much simpler.  No stupid different sized "lumps" to accommodate.

Hmm... Looks as if the scope itself actually sits slightly lower than in the EQ6 and closer to the RA pivot point. That should make balancing better and it should take up slightly less space when rotating too.

Yes, I would say something like 30mm lower - that rather surprised me.  And yes, the scope appears to be closer to the RA axis which will be better.  I might loose some lower level sky as I shall be removing the 8" pier extender I had on with the NEQ6.  However, experience has shown that targets just above the horizon are pretty useless anyway.  Just have to see.

It definately looks more heavy duty and rigidly built. But doesn't look that much bigger...especially to what my mind was scaling it at lol. Hope the rain goes away soon other wise I feel you might end up pulling out your hair lol. I know I would be if I couldn't play with my new toy as soon as I got it.

Yes.  And yes, I was hoping to get the pier head mods done and get it in place today.  Wasn't to be :(  Weather forecast is better for tomorrow though :)

I've had an idea for modifying the present top plate for the EQ8.  A 30mm hole in the middle wants to be 12mm instead.  I have a new steel plate on order but delivery is still about a week away.  I have some ali plate for a makeshift adapter.  My new idea is a ball bearing - 12mm ID and 30mm OD and 10mm thick or a bit less.  Simply Bearings have 12mm ID x 30mm OD x 8mm thick bearings so I've ordered one - save me making a new plate.  Meanwhile, I'll make use of the ali plate to hold the centre bolt.  Now why didn't I think of that before? - could have saved myself a bit if money :confused:  And effort.

The forecast here is even for some clear sky tomorrow night.  I'll believe that when I see it :)

James

Yes - quite!  It could happen :D  I might even have the mount ready but there are bound to be a few things I haven't thought of :D

Archived