Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Southend on Sea

siren

Hi all.

I have got interested in astronomy via my 7 year old daughter, who started asking questions about light and dark, in order to answer these questions, I dusted off a book called 'The Cosmic Tourist', from Patrick Moore, Brian May and Chris Lintott. Inspired by her enthusiasm and the frankly mind blowing photographs i began searching for more information for beginning astronomers.

I have been amazed by the wealth of info available online, it really has been useful, but you can't beat a good book in your hand, and I got the 'Stars and Planets' guide from the Greenwich Observatory and this has been really useful.

My twin brother found an old Tasco telescope in a charity shop and gave it  to me, it is the 1986 Haley's Comet model, I reckon they sold a load of these! Our one looks virtually unused and came with a wonderful map of the moon, along with a tiny tripod that doesn't like to stay still!

Despite the technical limitations of this very low quality scope, my daughter and I have enjoyed wonderful views of the moon, and this humble old relic has been fantastic, although I doubt its abilities beyond moongazing...

So now I have been trying to learn my way around the stars, so that I can show my daughter. I have found this to be of great interest, especially when you read of the history and mythology associated with the different constellations.  I am keen to learn more, and will probably try to work my way around the night sky before buying another telescope, if my current one can be be given such a name!

I also have some 12 x 50 binoculars which work perfectly as long as you only open one eye!

I am looking forward to getting involved in the forum and learning more along the way, the area that I live in has bad light pollution so I will enjoy reading of other's observations in more favourable environments , and hope to venture out to some dark sky spots myself soon.

Ps.. my name is Simon, my daughter is Renée, hence the username!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Siren, welcome to SGL!  Go for Jupiter your next chance and sure that scope will deliver a nice view no matter what its specs are:  will be better than what Galileo used!   That should be a fantastic wow moment if you haven't already done it and Renée should love that.  My kids got pretty excited.  I assume the Tasco is a refractor?  That's good for planets.

Hi Simon,

If you are ever at a loose end on a Wednesday evening, you are more than welcome to join in the fun at CPAC (Castle Point Astro Club).  We meet at St Michaels Church on Daws Heath Road every Wednesday at 8pm, with a beginners/observing evening every other Wednesday.  more details can be found at www.cpac.org

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Simon,

If you are ever at a loose end on a Wednesday evening, you are more than welcome to join in the fun at CPAC (Castle Point Astro Club).  We meet at St Michaels Church on Daws Heath Road every Wednesday at 8pm, with a beginners/observing evening every other Wednesday.  more details can be found at www.cpac.org

Cheers,

Tim

Sorry, that should be www.cpac.org.uk

Thank you all!

I have been made very welcome...

Tdmodels, I am encouraged to hear of a group so close to me, I will have a look at the website, beginners class sounds perfect. Thank you for the invitation, it is gratefully received.

Special K, the Tasco is indeed a refractor, I had not considered targeting other planets with it, My daughter and I would love to see Jupiter, she ( like all children of 7 and a half!) is fascinated by the rings, I imagine the rings may be a little hard to see with the humble Tasco!

Thank you all!

Special K, the Tasco is indeed a refractor, I had not considered targeting other planets with it, My daughter and I would love to see Jupiter, she ( like all children of 7 and a half!) is fascinated by the rings, I imagine the rings may be a little hard to see with the humble Tasco!

Great little resource here to tell you which moons you are seeing when viewing Jupiter: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/javascript/jupiter

Guaranteed the refractor will give you a fine view of Jupiter and is playing to the strength of that scope. Not sure what eye pieces you've got and what magnifications but you'll see the bands no doubt. Good point by Nobby that clocks will be changing and Jupiter arrives at a more social hour. Having said that he has traveled far from being in Taurus last winter and is rising maybe an hour later this year. Come Jan/Feb it will be quite a feature in the evening sky @ 8pm. Of course the Night Owls and Early Birds among us here at the SGL take little notice of time of day or night when skies are clear!

Archived