Why not start now?

old dave

40+ years ago I saw Saturn through a 6" reflector. 2 years ago I bought a scope. Doesn`t take me a long time to make my mind up. After much research and not a little trepidation I managed to buy an elderly example, about 23 years old. It`s a reflector with a 10" tube containing an 8.5" mirror with a Super Polaris mount on a very strong tripod. I believe the mirror is by David Hinds. To my untrained eye the mirror is faultless. The scope was made by Astro Systems. Now here is the JAW DROPPER. I did not want to trust this to a courier so I decided to collect it myself and it involved a 500+ miles round trip. The couple I bought it from had themselves purchased it new 23 years before. I asked them how often they had to collimate it. Reply - never. (Jaw drops). Some of their lunar photos had been published in their local newspaper. So I took it home, a 250 mile journey. I set it up the next night. Did I have to collimate it? Of course not and I have not had to collimate it since. The views were sharp and took my breath away. I have been using it manually. Therefore, Mr Peter Drew, as I think that this is one of your babies, would you please stand up and take a bow. You, your previous colleagues and David Hinds managed to manufacture scopes of quality which have stood the test of time. Thankyou. 

I have been looking at this site for quite a long time. I do like the patience shown to `astronomy newcomers` by those longer in the tooth. The depth of knowledge is quite staggering. To those who are technically and scientifically challenged like me this knowledge is really important although some of the arguments I read leave me reeling. Keep it up as I thing I`ll be needing your help in future.

Dave

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Dave. Your assessment of SGL is spot on. A wealth of information, and always freely and patiently given.

Congrats on the scope, sounds a goodun.

Kind regards and clear skies:o

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Dave and a warm welcome to the Lounge.

Any hobby can be fulfilling when you start will good quality equipment.

That telescope in the right hands will be looking up to the Heavens in a hundred years time.

cheers

Steve

Thanks a lot. I`m sure it will outlast me!

Dave

Archived