Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rain Rain Everywhere = Quiz Time

Pliadian

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

25 surprised me, next question ,

How do you dry a 6 man tent, so wet it's dripping water out of the trailer ?

Old Nick.

My  9 man is exactly the same better be dry during the week so i can dry it out other wise going to  mouldy                                                                                                             

Not sure of some of the answers. What is Earth mostly made of? Why is the majority of the Earth made up of Water?

It covers a greater area but the water sits on land that is below it, it isn't water down to the earths core. When the land under the sea moves you get earthquakes and tidal waves. Water is a very small percentage of the planet.

They are wrong on saying the milky way is a spiral and not a barred spiral, over the recent time the evidence is that we are in a barred spiral galaxy not a spiral one. They are a few years out of date with that. :eek:

How many basic types of galaxies is arguable, would have said Spiral, Barred Spiral, Irregular, Eliptical, Lenticular. Anyone else do GalaxyZoo? :rolleyes:

Types of stars in the Milky Way: Seems we do not have white stars, just red and blue, you imagers then have had it wrong for ages it would seem. :grin: :grin: if you have produced white stars. Equally sure that most of what I look at has whiote stars everywhere in view.

26 right, 3 wrong but the only way to get that score was to realise that the quiz author didn't really know their subject so you have to second guess how out of date their knowledge might be and what they think the answer might be. For example because they included pluto as a planet I guessed that they would probably have spiral rather than barred spiral as the answer for the shape of the milky way.

I think I could pick holes in at least ten questions, some of which I got right anyhow.  It doesn't really give the impression of having been set by someone who had any more than a passing acquaintance with astronomy.

James

Quit your moaning's about the questions. Anyone with half a clue about astronomy (the person who wrote the questions does) should be able to read between the lines and arrive at the right (or should that be the most correct answer according to non-astronomy type people) answer.

:grin:

I have to say that i honestly thought the MW was a spiral galaxy and that's what i put as my answer and it was right. However looking at images of it,its clearly a barrel galaxy. The arms are spiral in appearance, but the core is clearly barrel.

Is Pluto a planet? (the question about a moon size) .

If you ask 100 people on the street that question,most will still say yes. If you ask 100 astronomers, 50% will still say yes.

However, my niece asked me today how many planets are in the universe,(she meant solar system). My automatic answer was 8. 

I've never said 8 before. That was weird.

I went for spiral because I guessed that's what the writer thought it was.

It it's a long time since I read up on it but I remember talk of evidence that the Milk Way shows evidence of having a bar. Quite old news I thought so I do wonder about the writers source of knowledge.

I'd have thought a younger student type would only be exposed to current thinking? Or maybe it just a very old quiz that someone pulled out of somewhere?

21 and yes some questions are rubbish. 

Comet develops a tail well mate that is indeed true and unless i am mistaken (i am sure i will be corrected by plenty of members) said tail is the result of melting and direction of tail relative to solar winds. 

so claiming 22

The one that irritates me perhaps more than any of the others (apart from the misspelling of Deimos) is "What are asteroids closely similar to?"

Comet?  Ball of ice and dirt, may originate in the Oort cloud, may be periodic or can just drift through the solar system and be gone forever.  Doesn't sound too much like an asteroid to me.

Meteorite?  Needs to hit the ground.  I guess an asteroid that hit the ground and survived might be considered a meteorite, but it doesn't appear that many of them do, so not a good match.

Meteor?  Well, perhaps.  Still needs to graze the atmosphere though, and again most of them probably don't, so it's not a particularly good match.

Planet?  An asteroid doesn't really fit the definition, certainly not if Pluto doesn't, but if the asteroid belt is actually thought of as a planet that can't form because of the gravitational tidal forces then perhaps it's an arguable answer.

And the quiz answer is?  Meteorite.

Now the second thing anyone learns about meteorites after "they make pretty lights in the sky", and perhaps their defining quality, is that they hit the ground.  It's an absolute requirement.  No way does "asteroid" fit the bill there.  Some presumably do, but an awful lot have as yet failed to do so.

Meteor seems a poor best match.  Planet I might be talked around to after a long Friday night down the pub.  But meteorite?  Get outta town.

James

Glad it wasn't just me who had problems with some of the answers.  I thought it was a barred spiral at first, but thought the popular answer would be spiral, same for the water answer since they seemed to relate to the surface only.

Archived