Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Sounds more fun then polishing ur mirror [emoji2] sorry I know it will all be good in the end. It's my wife's Xmas prezzy but I have to go [emoji12] just hope this snow clears and Leeds Bradford is open for flights tomorrow night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great present ! I reckon Leeds Bradford airport will be fine for tomorrow night

I thought so too she's so looking forward to going Neither of us have flown before so it's a big adventure for both of us. We're just hoping for aurora will be showing and airport is open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if its cloudy fro longer than the current forecast feel free to blame me, bought a couple of astro bits to day,   already modified Phillips webcam not the fabled one but one or two models down from that from one of the mods on here picked it up from his house tonight and have ordered the nose piece for it from RVO as well,

I thought so too she's so looking forward to going Neither of us have flown before so it's a big adventure for both of us. We're just hoping for aurora will be showing and airport is open

It'll be brilliant I'm sure. Let us know how you get on.

Sounds amazing Mark, fingers crossed you get to take off and the kp index is good for Aurora.

Glad the grinding is now back on track Damian, we might get to see that new scope before the November star party ;)

Leigh I'm hoping for some clear skies I need to get some decent tracking images of Lovejoy before it starts to fade, so please stop buying astro kit ;)

sorry, but gonna make it worse will be ordering the SW star adventurer mount  soon :)

Sounds amazing Mark, fingers crossed you get to take off and the kp index is good for Aurora.

Glad the grinding is now back on track Damian, we might get to see that new scope before the November star party ;)

Yeah although I'll probably be in galloway in November with Kieran depending on the star camp dates

P.s. nearly 3 hours of polishing again today.

The mirror centre is still hazy so the lap isn't in full contact. The edge is more polished so getting there

After warming I've left the lap pressing again with nearly 30kg of weight on overnight so hopefully when I attempt another session tomorrow it will begin to polish!

I'm probably going to end up with another hill but hopefully it will be even across the surface this time

Update tomorrow evening but a total of 9 hours of polish so far

Damian

I think that is allowed Leigh and as long as we can all use it, it won't upset the astro gods! :p

letting any of you use it at a observing  session will not be an issue as long as I get my stuff done first, wont be allowed to use it until February though, Mrs Haze is buying me it for my birthday, so I can only use it from Feb 6th onwards even if it arrives earlier than that

on the good side I hope I didn't actually buy it my self so the cloud gods should be favourable I hope, after all they only get upset if we buy something don't they ?

I think that's right Leigh yes... It's only if we buy it ourselves ;)

Glad the grinding is coming along nicely again Damian, hope you get it done soon for first light before summer nights set in!

Still rather cloudy over here Kieran, are you up at Winscarr?

Update on the mirror polishing

I removed the lap after pressing and re cut the facets as they close up when pressed with weight to supposedly form the lap to the mirror shape.

Another 2 hours of polishing today but I'm still struggling with centre contact of the lap.

Through the use of long centre through strokes I've managed to polish the centre a little more although this is still hazy but not as bad as yesterday.

I've left the lap yet again pressing over night with weight on so I shall see how things go?

More tomorrow

Damian

Archived