Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Feeling thoroughly frustrated! I find it difficult to get my nifty-fifty to the right focus and managed after about 20 mins of faff, yay! So i set the camera of doing 1 min exposures and after 50 mins of this decide to go out and have a look around 40 images are out of focus! And I'm not sure whether it's because slight dew or frost in the lens or what. Any ideas what it could be?

Definitely an Imager now Sam. I'm sure one of the experienced guys will be along soon to help you.

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my manual 50mm pentax lens is a complete pest like that too Sam.

get it all set up and open the aperture to F2-F3 and the depth of field is soooo slim the sweet spot for focus is incredibly tight.

you finally get it focussed and then click away, only to find after 10 minutes the lens has cooled down and it is now out of focus again. Could be something as simple as that.

Also as a safe guard against a loose focus ring, maybe worth putting a wide elastic band around the ring so it touches the lens body. that little extra friction will stop the focus from slipping when its pointing upwards. Alternatively get it focussed and put a blob of blutack on the ring. Anything really to hold it steady.

Think Nick is talking lots of sense there Sam, find a way to keep it in focus and you should be away, you should at least get a good 45 mins to an hour before any dewing would cause fogging of the lens so has to be something else, and that can only be the focus ring.

Glad you enjoyed the evening Chris, do please feel free to come and join us, we are a pretty aimiable bunch :)

I too would like to say thanks for a great night last Thursday, was a super evening. :)

Im not a member though, maybe I should join :)

Chris

Glad you popped along to see us Chris, it was a good turn out and an enjoyable talk

As soupy says feel free to attend one of our 'normal' meetings or keep an eye on the thread as to viewing events

Damian

Glad you popped along to see us Chris, it was a good turn out and an enjoyable talk

As soupy says feel free to attend one of our 'normal' meetings or keep an eye on the thread as to viewing events

Damian

Ah, another Barnsley person :)

I think it was nick that emailed me back when I emailed in about the talk.  When are the montly meets? I think the website needs updating as its still got last years dates on.

The next meet that non-members can attend is the 18th February (could be the 19th as we usually have the meeting on a Thursday and I can't remember what the 18/19th falls on) when our one and Astonomer69 will doing a talk on astrophotography(?).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yes not too far away,  Mapplewell to be exact, here's the next planned meetings and upcoming talks as far as I know Chris

Feb 19th Kieran Midgley "DSO imaging"

March 12th Tbc Dr Steve Muir "William Herschel Astronomer and Musician"

March 26th Tbc Dr Lee Sproats (green witch) 

Tbc Later in year another talk by me on scope and mirror making (if all goes to plan)

Nick Howes (Imaging)

Paul Abel (Tbc 21/05/15)

Gain Lee (Quick and productive Imaging)

All held at the Horbury Academy Wakefield starting at half 7 

Damian

Yes not too far away,  Mapplewell to be exact, here's the next planned meetings and upcoming talks as far as I know Chris

Feb 19th Kieran Midgley "DSO imaging"

Tbc Later in year another talk by me on scope and mirror making (if all goes to plan)

Nick Howes (Imaging)

Paul Abel (Tbc 21/05/15)

All held at the Horbury Academy Wakefield starting at half 7 

Damian

Thanks Damien, im at Royston so not too far away.  Ill make a note of those dates.  Is Thursday nights your regular meet nights, because thats an ok day for me to make.

Thanks Damien, im at Royston so not too far away. Ill make a note of those dates. Is Thursday nights your regular meet nights, because thats an ok day for me to make.

Unless there's a special need to change it, yes Thursdays are when we usually meet, barring observing sessions and such forth.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Just completed week 3 of 'Orion'  found it easier going than last week, but a fair bit was a recap of the 0 level physics I did at school 30 something years ago

Hi Leigh, ive wondered about doing a course like this, how are you finding it overall?

Chris

Hi Leigh, ive wondered about doing a course like this, how are you finding it overall?

Chris

HI Chris

I am finding it OK,  first week was very easy, 2nd was a lot tougher, tis week (3) was fairly straight forward like I said a lot of it was recovering physics I did at school years ago.

Next week is week 4, and the final week,

with tis course there is no pass or fail as you can go over everything including the questions at the end until you get them all correct, there is no final exam or qualification,  although provided you complete a set amount of the content and attempt all the weekly quizzes you can purchase a certificate of completion for £30

Hope this helps,

Looks like I got the first event a little wrong but its still to be confirmed so as it stands

Feb 5th Kieran Midgley "DSO imaging"

Nick Howes (Imaging)

Paul Abel (Tbc 21/05/15)

Hope that's correct, please check the web site for confirmation which should be updated by the weekend.

Apologies Damian

Not sure Mark will have to get an update from the rest of the Committee on that.

I have today received depite the snow trying to throw a spanner in the works .5kg of 2.5micron Cerium Oxide so it's back on with the polishing of the mirror.

Seems to be easier stuff to work with than the last and also clings to the mirror better whilst polishing.

Working in the kitchen at temps above 16deg is definitely the way to go as the lap works better being more pliable.

I should've done this before but it's all a learning curve so I at least know where I was going wrong last time.

Hope you enjoy the flight Mark as it sounds interesting

Damian

Archived