Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Stargazing LIVE 2015 next! That's coming up soon.

Think it's in March this year with thesolar eclipse comung up then. So we could definitely push to have something coincide with it, and as Nick says maybe get a mention or two. I know we got a quick mention on a podcast he did. Here's the link;

http://recycledelec.com/

Woozy kindly posted it on our FB page, so a thank you for that.

Jeremy

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll have to keep in touch with Chris and see if he'll do anything or give us a shout out for star gazing live on the telly!

I've already dropped Chris an email... You didn't really think I would sit back on this once it all finished did you ;)

Think it's in March this year with thesolar eclipse comung up then. So we could definitely push to have something coincide with it, and as Nick says maybe get a mention or two. I know we got a quick mention on a podcast he did. Here's the link; http://recycledelec.com/

Woozy kindly posted it on our FB page, so a thank you for that.

Jeremy

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Do you know which episode it was Jeremy?

before the snow hit last night at 11pm i was out in the back garden with the dob. seeing was excellent and I decided to piggy back my camera with 200mm lens onto it for some lovejoy capturing.

heres a single frame, 5 seconds at iso 1600 with a quick sharpen in gimp.

just having a few problems stacking it in DSS, it really doesnt like .SRW, so i am going to have to convert them all to tiff and try again. Hopefully the stack will look much better, but I'm chuffed i caught it.

visually its stunning in my 12" dob, really bright with a distinct bright core and slightly oval nebulosity (is that the right word for it?) around the core. No hint of the tail visually, even tried my UHC filter and that didnt show the tail either. Not sure if its possible to see visually though, or if its my horrendous light pollution.

post-26554-0-37704700-1421499333_thumb.j

Well done Nick.

The tail is going to be hard to spot visually as It's so faint but would've thought 12" of aperture would've turned something up?

Maybe its the light pollution need to try from a dark site.

Nice shot Sam... I'm up at Kielder and have caught it naked eye but the clouds are scuttling across so making it impossible to get a pic.

Looking forward to seeing Kieran's efforts from this evening.

Had a go this aft at processing soupy don't no why but images I take through this new lens seems a lot harder to process than ones done through scope so going to have a good bash at it Monday night when got more time.

I've got 2 lots to do, did over an hour at 200mm and about same at 70mm the good thing at 70mm is I got M45 Pleides in same field of view which makes it a more interesting image [emoji3]

before the snow hit last night at 11pm i was out in the back garden with the dob. seeing was excellent and I decided to piggy back my camera with 200mm lens onto it for some lovejoy capturing.

heres a single frame, 5 seconds at iso 1600 with a quick sharpen in gimp.

just having a few problems stacking it in DSS, it really doesnt like .SRW, so i am going to have to convert them all to tiff and try again. Hopefully the stack will look much better, but I'm chuffed i caught it.

visually its stunning in my 12" dob, really bright with a distinct bright core and slightly oval nebulosity (is that the right word for it?) around the core. No hint of the tail visually, even tried my UHC filter and that didnt show the tail either. Not sure if its possible to see visually though, or if its my horrendous light pollution.

attachicon.gifSAM_3580.jpg

What camera you using nick as you should be shooting in RAW as that's what DSS likes best.

Just checked BBC wether app says clear from 9pm at Kielder most of the night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky is clear as crystal... Have done a few lovejoy snaps, but no tracking scope :( I need a cheap one for up here... Hopefully I can stack them to bring out more detail when I get home tomorrow

Nicks camera is a Sony Kieran which is why his raw files are .SRW so not sure if DSS can deal with these.

Chris did indeed control the presentation with his smart phone, as the wireless presenter didn't want to work with his Mac.

Kieran, it does shoot RAW, but its their propriety version.

DSS sees it and does the registering fine. Fairly even stars count and score, but it only ever seems to stack 2 sub's! Convert them to tiff and it usually plays ball.

Got 48 Orion sub's to sort as well.

First time I have had chance to say well done to everyone organising the talk. Was fantastic evening. Should we update website with dates for coming year so possible new members can see what we have upcoming??

And Soupy, what's the story with the house ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUCCESS!!!

Orion widefield - heavily cropped due to very messy edges due to horrendous gradients from shooting 30deg above a streetlight.

samsung NX100 at 200mm F5.6 iso 1600

43 subs x 5 seconds = total 3min 35sec

very slightly tweaked in gimp to increase the black background from orange. Now gives me hope this camera and new lens is good enough for my widefield needs. My 40th birthday soon, maybe thinking a SW skyadventurer on a decent field tripod is on the cards.

post-26554-0-09380900-1421605988_thumb.j

Feeling thoroughly frustrated! I find it difficult to get my nifty-fifty to the right focus and managed after about 20 mins of faff, yay! So i set the camera of doing 1 min exposures and after 50 mins of this decide to go out and have a look around 40 images are out of focus! And I'm not sure whether it's because slight dew or frost in the lens or what. Any ideas what it could be?

Archived