NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Anyone heading over to Todmorden from Ossett/Horbury area? Would appreciate a lift for me and Luke, or I am happy to drive and take someone over who can give me a hand with directions! I have a very small car, so can't accommodate large telescope. Alternatively, if someone is heading over from my way, can I follow you please.

Vicky if you can get up to Grange Moor roundabout for About 6.45 I can meet you there at the small carpark at the bus stop just past the roundabout on the way to huddersfield. Side of the blacksmiths arms. I'll try to be on time

Yeah sorry I missed it guys I'd much rather be sorting this bath and shower out not!

On a different note, me and Crash are off to see mirror making guru John Nichol tomorrow who is holding another seminar. Concentrating more on the testing this time.

I'll ask John about coming to the society for a talk not sure as he does them though? The seminar is advertised on here.

Sorry I had to pull out at the last minute tonight guys...

Little one threw her guts up during her tea, so had to stay and look after her.

Hope you all had a great night the skies are looking very clear for you

Just got in from todmorden. The inlaws couldn't take much more cold. Seriously underdressed. Good night, really friendly people and some serious kit up there. Two 16" reflectors and a VERY long 80mm frac. Awful lot of smaller stuff too. Glad I went. Naked eye andromeda even with the 3/4 moon.

Had a good night indeed, nice to meet some new people, (Thanks again for the lift Matt)

Havnt had a proper look at my images but don't think I got much f use due to the moon although the shot I took through daves scope looks great,  I will post it later on when I cropped it a little,

Shame you couldn't make it Paul, hope Fifi is ok
Leigh

Moon, my 1100d, 1/250  Daves 150p scope, came out better than I expected as  using the nose piece had same p0roblem as n my scope, not enough inward travel on focuser, so removed the 2'' to 1.25''  adapter and just held the camera in the focuser , as shot no processing

_MG_0105_zps60740ce3.jpg

Glad to hear that those of you who were able to visit enjoyed the evening, you're welcome any time you can bring clear skies!

For the record, the 16" reflectors are 16" lx200 SCT's, the long 80mm refractor is a 220mm. We also have 300mm aperture reflecting binoculars and a 17" Dobsonian. Our 30" Dobsonian refurbish is nearly complete and it should be back in action in a few weeks time. we also have a part worked 42.5" mirror blank but don't hold your breath on that one! :smiley:

Glad to hear that those of you who were able to visit enjoyed the evening, you're welcome any time you can bring clear skies!

For the record, the 16" reflectors are 16" lx200 SCT's, the long 80mm refractor is a 220mm. We also have 300mm aperture reflecting binoculars and a 17" Dobsonian. Our 30" Dobsonian refurbish is nearly complete and it should be back in action in a few weeks time. we also have a part worked 42.5" mirror blank but don't hold your breath on that one! :smiley:

42.5" blank now that is worth seeing ;-)

Well if anyone wants to make me an offer on my SW 12" tracking DOB with hi-lux coated mirrors from Orion optics uk, I'm open to suggestions.

That's right, I'm thinking of selling up.

With my new job, I'm away from home 3 days a week. means I miss any clear nights for half the week and the other half I want to spend with my family...

I just ain't using it. The only times I've had clear nights that I could have used it I've been away in the caravan and the bloomin thing physically won't fit in the van!!!!!!!

So I'm open to offers from wadas members first for it to go to a good home. It won't come with any EPs - but I'll throw in the laser collimator and 12v battery for the tracking, 240v power lead and balance counterweights for using big 2" EPs.

I won't be giving up astronomy, a medium frac might be somewhere in my future for packing in the caravan ... But for now, I'm just a virtual hobbyist with no time to enjoy observing :-(

Same that is Nick,

On another note I was expecting clody skies for the next 3 weeks as yesterday I bought something semi astro related,  but looking at bbc website its clear all night both tonight and tomorrow night so might have to go out and play,  cant tonight but can tomorrow,

After a conversation with Kieran when we were at winscarr a couple of weeks ago,  he mentioned even if just using a camera its worth carrying laptop aswell as it makes it easier to focus if viewing on the screen

My old Dell D370 I think it is aint up to the job so bought my self a new laptop with an i5 processer etc, just for astro use :)

Same that is Nick,

On another note I was expecting clody skies for the next 3 weeks as yesterday I bought something semi astro related, but looking at bbc website its clear all night both tonight and tomorrow night so might have to go out and play, cant tonight but can tomorrow,

After a conversation with Kieran when we were at winscarr a couple of weeks ago, he mentioned even if just using a camera its worth carrying laptop aswell as it makes it easier to focus if viewing on the screen

My old Dell D370 I think it is aint up to the job so bought my self a new laptop with an i5 processer etc, just for astro use :)

Think you may struggle with that 300flex tube Sam as you've a saloon car and I doubt it Will go in?

Most of the astro software runs on XP as far as I know leigh I could be wrong as It's really stable.It will run on windows 7 in compatibility mode.

Think you may struggle with that 300flex tube Sam as you've a saloon car and I doubt it Will go in?

Most of the astro software runs on XP as far as I know leigh I could be wrong as It's really stable.It will run on windows 7 in compatibility mode.

everything I use runs on my desktop which is also windows 8.1  so don't  for see any issues

Can't believe you are selling the light bucket Nick... I am sure that one of the WADAS members would be very I interested, I would be if I didn't already have a 12" waiting for the Obsy to be finished... Which by the way might be done by the weekend or at least ready for a lift with the dome for hopefully the second and last time.

I could always store it up at kielder for you if you want so when you go up in the van you would have it

Archived