NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

I've just tried out the Atik Titan in jupiter - i tried it in the fastest frame rate and that didn't seem to work very well so i tried it in a slightly longer exposure of 0.4 secs which was then over exposed. Could anyone give me a few tips for next time. Please [emoji15]

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a great night out last night, m31 was pretty epic and finally managed the triangulum galaxy (v. dull). Also got the tiniest hint of the viel neb too!

But I forgot my map, so stuck to stuff I could find by memory. Kept me busy for a few hours, but then sinusitis took over and I beat a retreat back to bed.

Although one issue cropped up, my new antares x1.6 corrected Barlow won't work! Not enough in focus, so gonna have to sort out a slimmer 2" adaptor for the focuser.

I tried the Atik again but that wasn't very fruitful. So i used my canon 600d. 272 frames. Pipp for cropping and pre processing, registax for align, stack and wavelets then gimp for levels and curves. It was really hard to achieve good focus due to the wind but hopefully I'll be able to get a better one I've got a couple more attempts that need processing :)

You'll struggle with the DSLR for planets. I also couldn't get on with the Titan for planets although there is a review/test on SGL somewhere where someone got a really decent image of jupiter. 

I think you still need more frames and in regi select the best ones for stacking.

You need to keep trying becuase planetary is very dependant on the atmospheric conditions and the jetstream - last season I really struggled. One night it will all come together.

It's a good job I'm persistent. I can see improvements in my images. It's just as you say getting good atmospheric conditions which is all but impossible in England. I could put all my frames together but i think they total about 6 mins which then becomes a problem with Jupiter's rotation. The joys of AP. I think to myself why i started this hobby and then smile because it's a challenge ;)

Had a great night out last night, m31 was pretty epic and finally managed the triangulum galaxy (v. dull). Also got the tiniest hint of the viel neb too!

But I forgot my map, so stuck to stuff I could find by memory. Kept me busy for a few hours, but then sinusitis took over and I beat a retreat back to bed.

Although one issue cropped up, my new antares x1.6 corrected Barlow won't work! Not enough in focus, so gonna have to sort out a slimmer 2" adaptor for the focuser.

Was that with the 300 flex tube Nick

Can't see your images Sam, tif docs don't want to work on the iPad. Will have a scan when I get home.

Glad you are getting to use the scope Nick, more than me at the min. Had torrential rain all day at Kielder, almost got the transit van stuck, had to get a neighbour to come free us with a tow rope! Cut up the grass loads though it's like a quagmire! I hope it dries out in the next 4 weeks ;)

Damian will you be coming up on Saturday if not Friday?

Can't see your images Sam, tif docs don't want to work on the iPad. Will have a scan when I get home.

Glad you are getting to use the scope Nick, more than me at the min. Had torrential rain all day at Kielder, almost got the transit van stuck, had to get a neighbour to come free us with a tow rope! Cut up the grass loads though it's like a quagmire! I hope it dries out in the next 4 weeks ;)

Damian will you be coming up on Saturday if not Friday?

Yes will do sat if the ground dries?   :eek:

if no one needs me to transport gear fro them on the Friday night, might as well drive up Saturday my self, been thinking about it, would have been at work since 4.30am Friday morning finish at 6 or 7 pm, then drive to keilder I would be spending all the time there sleeping.

Archived