Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately guys I won't be able to make galloway star party :( I've been looking forward to it for months now so I'm not very impressed. however I'm sure I'll be able to make the next one.

Sad to hear that Sam. I'm sure there will be opportunity again in the future.

Me and Kieran will fly the flag for WADAS and hopefully the worst of the weather will get itself out of the way this week.

Hopefully you can make the Soupy do the following weekend.

Unfortunately guys I won't be able to make galloway star party :( I've been looking forward to it for months now so I'm not very impressed. however I'm sure I'll be able to make the next one.

Guttered Sam would of been good for you to be there as could of learned you loads with the new cam and guide scope.

and I'm really confused why when I've changed my profile pic it still shows the one with the ex nutter? anyone know how i can sort this out?

Think Soupy is right can't do anything about the ex but you need a pc to change your pic. Oh and language timothy ;-)

Luke is asking for some decent binoculars/spotting scope. We can't afford a decent telescope at the moment, and he is happy with the little one he has got for now until he knows what he wants. I know I'll have to get him something decent, and they won't be cheap, but what magnification would you recommend for a beginner who is mainly wanting to view the moon, planets and other basic objects. He has a tripod, but do they come with their own tripods? Just a bit of advice of what to look for, and what to avoid would be appreciated.

A lot of people recommend the Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Binoculars, which are around £60. I own a pair, and they are good - but possibly not suitable for Luke since they are large and heavy, if he were to use them then they'd need to be mounted on a tripod. Smaller ones like 8x32, 8x42 should be ok for Luke to hand hold, but the downside is you won't see as much.

Most binoculars just come on their own, and you have to use your own tripod - but often a tripod adapter is included.

Check out our local friendly shop http://www.green-witch.com where Dr Sproats will be able to assist.

Otherwise keep an eye out on ebay, there's plenty of bargains to be had. I picked up some decent telescopes for friends in the £50-£100 range.

Thanks for the advice Matt. He would use them with a tripod as I don't think he would be able to keep them still enough without. I'd just have to check if they can be used with his existing tripod. If I'm spending I'd rather get the most suitable, and those seem reasonable at around £60. To be honest, I was expecting to have to pay nearer £200 to get anything worth buying that would be any use to him. On the flip side, he also does a bit of wildlife/bird spotting with RSPB and they recommend a maximum size of 8x42. However, I think he is keener to get the better viewing for his astronomy rather than the birds etc, for which we have a pair of small 10x25 compact and he then tends to use his camera on a tripod for anything he wants more detailed. It gives me a few things to think about. Thanks.

Luke is asking for some decent binoculars/spotting scope. We can't afford a decent telescope at the moment, and he is happy with the little one he has got for now until he knows what he wants. I know I'll have to get him something decent, and they won't be cheap, but what magnification would you recommend for a beginner who is mainly wanting to view the moon, planets and other basic objects. He has a tripod, but do they come with their own tripods? Just a bit of advice of what to look for, and what to avoid would be appreciated.

spotting scopes dont really do high enough power for planets - they'll be small sized disks, but showing some detail. You'll see saturns rings and the moons of jupiter at about x50 mag and maybe some of the cloud bands.

however, the celestron ultima 80mm spotting scope does get great reviews for bird watching AND looking at the clouds stars/moon. And its well within budget.

http://binocularreviews.northernoptics.co.uk/news-and-blog/north-lincs-astro-review-of-celestron-ultima-80mm-spotting-scope/

definitely worth giving Lee a call at greenwitch.

Archived