NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's good mark, I've just been outside and seen something thats not been seen from Yorkshire for thousands of years, Venus, Mars and the moon :) Venus is shining very brightly this morning.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

It' was too cloudy here but the sun is shining bright and the sky's are blue now I don't know how long it will last. I'm sure the cloud will cover the sky before dark and rob me of another night under the stars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Chris - Venus, Mars, Jupiter and The Moon looked beautiful in the pre-dawn sky. Wish I had looked out 15 minutes earlier as it would have given me time to get the camera out before dawn stole Mars away!

I forgot Jupiter off the list

Yep the sky was amazing I had a trip out to Woodhead pass this morning at 6... wow is all I can say! Ozzy saw the first Geminid of the season. Even before me! He described it perfectly with the correct direction away from the base of Gemini!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Yep the sky was amazing I had a trip out to Woodhead pass this morning at 6... wow is all I can say! Ozzy saw the first Geminid of the season. Even before me! He described it perfectly with the correct direction away from the base of Gemini!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Glad some got out, the ruse about selling everything has provided some clear dry weather at least!

Just unpacked and set most of it up, feels really sturdy and well made piece of kit, mount was a bit 'fiddly' so that won't be coming off very often, wouldn't like to do it in the dark, will spend a bit of time looking at the rest of it tomorrow.post-46309-0-81937100-1449156013_thumb.j

Looks very nice Eric.

I may be mistaken but it looks the same tripod as what Kieran's CGEM mount has on it?

Can't say as I haven't seen Kierans CGEM mount, it's certainly a very substantial tripod, all metal including metal not plastic locking nuts and strong metal tray, just charging mount  now as recommended, everything seems to be there , I will try the supplied RDF but dont hold out much hope for it as I am not too keen on them to be honest even with my limited experience, so far so good, got excited and had a quick try of optics via double glazed window with supplied 40mm ep and M1 (motorway) looked good lol.

Eric

Nice looking scope Eric - hopefully we'll get some clear skies soon to get out and do some viewing :)

Looking forward to the quiz tonight - anyone off to the pub afterwards as I might walk up if a pint could be on the cards ;)

I could be tempted be a couple of cokes - hardcore i know right.. right? ;)

Matt

Just unpacked and set most of it up, feels really sturdy and well made piece of kit, mount was a bit 'fiddly' so that won't be coming off very often, wouldn't like to do it in the dark, will spend a bit of time looking at the rest of it tomorrow.attachicon.gifIMG_1081.JPG

Looks good Eric, which part of the mount did you find tricky, mines held in with 3 bolts and I find it easy now to take apart. I think if you rotate it on the tripod it slots into the correct place for the screws to go. You'll get used to it I'm sure.

Looks good Eric, which part of the mount did you find tricky, mines held in with 3 bolts and I find it easy now to take apart. I think if you rotate it on the tripod it slots into the correct place for the screws to go. You'll get used to it I'm sure.

I think the instructions noted that it doesn't click in place like the 6 or 8, as you say probably when I get used to it yes, its heavy so maybe would be better removing the mount for transport, but it can be moved with mount in place, like I said Heavy, even the tray weighs 2.5 kilo !!.

Eric

I think the instructions noted that it doesn't click in place like the 6 or 8, as you say probably when I get used to it yes, its heavy so maybe would be better removing the mount for transport, but it can be moved with mount in place, like I said Heavy, even the tray weighs 2.5 kilo !!.

Eric

Yea, I'm not sure if it's the same had design as mine, it does sound a little different

Eric

I think it is the same tripod design as the CGEM the tray is exactly the same so a solid performer.

Fab night tonight chaps. Thank you Soupy for putting together a really challenging quiz. Luke's eyes will pop out of his head when he sees that chocolate in the morning.

Hopefully, we'll get a clear evening soon to meet up, but if not I look forward to seeing everyone again on 17th for the curry night :)

Heads up there is an Imaging Source mono planetary CCD camera just gone up for sale in the classifieds for £175.

Same model I've got and it's a cracking little camera, and really user friendly software.

Worth a look for anyone wanting a starter level planetary CCD :)

Archived