Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

sounds like you all had a good night at the quiz - sorry i couldn't make it.

On a side track - when I came up that Thrusday, sone of the members had a telescope in a carry bag (possibly Matt, Mark or Mike???); I was wonder if whoever it was would be kind enough to let me know where I can get one?

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sounds like you all had a good night at the quiz - sorry i couldn't make it.

On a side track - when I came up that Thrusday, sone of the members had a telescope in a carry bag (possibly Matt, Mark or Mike???); I was wonder if whoever it was would be kind enough to let me know where I can get one?

It was Matt and he was going to put a link to the website on if he remembered but he must have forgotten. Hopefully this will prompt him [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Mark, if we ever get a clear night for a meet you are welcome to try the SA on my very stable rvelli tripod if you wish, same goes for you Vicky

Thanks Leigh that will be very much appreciated

Yes, it was me, I have a red Geoptik padded case for my Skywatcher 200P telescope. I actually acquired mine second hand from a well known internet auction site.

Geoptik is an Italian company http://www.geoptik.com/index.php?route=common/home

Rother Valley Optics are probably our nearest UK stockist: http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/search/for/geoptik+case/

Thanks Matt. I think I've been on the Italian site this afternoon. I think I might check out that Electronic Buyers Auction Yarn, but most of the stuff I find on there these days are from online shops, so I never manage to find any real bargains.

Thanks for the other link though, might be a birthday investment.

They are an excellent price I paid £160 for mine last year but there you go

I wonder if there bringing out a new model because they have dropped loads, I guess that's what they do though. There's some on ebay new for even less

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

I wonder if there bringing out a new model because they have dropped loads, I guess that's what they do though. There's some on ebay new for even less

Probably if I was you I'd get some they are worth every penny I paid so there even better at less then half price

Just been messing with my new scope in the dark with red light torch,setting up tripod with mount already fixed was ok, found the OTA was best lowered into the vixen style clamp, this was the nervy bit lol and found it a bit tricky scared of it slipping & crashing down into the mount, anyway ,had 3 runs at setting up and still found the OTA locating scary!!!!. But managed with no catastrophe .

The accessory tray is illuminated with a red light looks useful, and the whole assembly feels quite sturdy.

I downloaded the sky portal app on my iPad and it connected the wifi easily. Played around with it but obviously could not do an alignment. ( the mount has manual clutches which is a bonus in case of loss of power)

The handset holder arrives as 2 plastic pieces for assembly by clicking one into the other, found this impossible and after a long while gave up, thought it might be just me and my missus not being able so the neighbours had a go along with some family members, now letting FLO have go lol.

Can't wait to get out with scope now.

ps: the RDF is definately going , no good for me with my eyesight lol.

Just been messing with my new scope in the dark with red light torch,setting up tripod with mount already fixed was ok, found the OTA was best lowered into the vixen style clamp, this was the nervy bit lol and found it a bit tricky scared of it slipping & crashing down into the mount, anyway ,had 3 runs at setting up and still found the OTA locating scary!!!!. But managed with no catastrophe .

The accessory tray is illuminated with a red light looks useful, and the whole assembly feels quite sturdy.

I downloaded the sky portal app on my iPad and it connected the wifi easily. Played around with it but obviously could not do an alignment. ( the mount has manual clutches which is a bonus in case of loss of power)

The handset holder arrives as 2 plastic pieces for assembly by clicking one into the other, found this impossible and after a long while gave up, thought it might be just me and my missus not being able so the neighbours had a go along with some family members, now letting FLO have go lol.

Can't wait to get out with scope now.

ps: the RDF is definately going , no good for me with my eyesight lol.

I was the same with my ota at first and mines only the 6 inch version so I can understand exactly what you mean. I think my handset holder is one piece, but I hadn't used it much yet as I've mostly been using the app, I must use it sometime though or I won't know how to use it at all! The illuminated tray is a good feature that I like.

As for bins... I have the celestron 25x70. They are a very good pair but a little large and heavy so would need a tripod for longer sessions, but good mag and aperture. And they are about £65 new as well.

As for bins... I have the celestron 25x70. They are a very good pair but a little large and heavy so would need a tripod for longer sessions, but good mag and aperture. And they are about £65 new as well.

There a big aperture, how do you find using them without a tripod as there a 25x mag? I do have a tripod that I used to use for a camcorder years ago, they might fit that.

There a big aperture, how do you find using them without a tripod as there a 25x mag? I do have a tripod that I used to use for a camcorder years ago, they might fit that.

They are not too bad Chris to be honest, and I've also rested my elbows on the car roof to stabilise when out viewing.

They come with a bracket for attaching to a camera screw on a tripod so should fit any tripod out there that is ready to take a camera.

They are not too bad Chris to be honest, and I've also rested my elbows on the car roof to stabilise when out viewing.

They come with a bracket for attaching to a camera screw on a tripod so should fit any tripod out there that is ready to take a camera.

Ah right, I'll have a look at them, I just thought a 25 magnification might be too much. What are they like for weight

Ah right, I'll have a look at them, I just thought a 25 magnification might be too much. What are they like for weight

Looking on-line they weigh 52oz - 1474g

They come with the tripod adaptor, so you'll be fine to use any tripod that can have a camera mounted, as Soupy said.

Definately need a tripod for the 25x70 but they are good optics and give good views.

Archived