Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

ok thanks Nick,

Just had a look at my scope regarding not been able to get enough inward travel on the focuser to get the dslr to focus,there is a black metal collar on the top of the draw bar that will unscrew by around 30mm nd stillappear to be a stable fit, think next clearish night will try that,

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stupid, bloomin heck - stupid!

forgot to check the camera first and took everything in flippin JPEG instead of RAW.

grrrrrrr :embarrassed:

well i stacked them anyway, but DSS wouldnt apply the bias frames i took or do much with the darks - suppose thats the problem with jpeg compression. So this is just the raw output from dss of the stacked jpegs. Might download gimp and have a play with them later. But i think they are a right off to be honest.

get.jpg

get.jpg

Amount of times I've done that myself nick it's a common astro fail welcome to the world of astrophotography steepest learning curve none to man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right chaps, I am thinking of next Saturday to pick up the dome and walls from Barnsley, I'll hire a flat bed as I need a wide transporter to get the 10ft dome across to here... Might need the strength of a few of us (Richard reacons 6) to lift it off and get it onto the truck, it is fibre glass so shouldn't be too heavy ;) the heaviest parts will be the side panels and these should go on the flatbed no worries.

Is anyone free to help please? I can supply tea and biscuits

I haven't done the foundations yet but hope to sort these out in the next few weeks. Clearing the space this weekend :)

Yes, count me in as a willing helper. (So long as it doesn't impact any of the World Cup viewing!)

Saturday 14th June

Colombia v Greece 17:00

Uruguay v Costa Rica 20:00

England v Italy 23:00

thanks for your support lads, hopefully we can get a few more just in case we need 6 to lift the dome. I have made a good start today, cleared the area of the kids play center and marked out the cirtcumference as well as digging 2.5ft foundation hole for the pier! Just going to post a blog of it with pics as I/we go along, will post the address when I start it!

And dont worry Matt, I dont intend to run over the match kick off times, I'll have to have the truck back before then anyway ;)

Ah, Sod's law - my daughter's birthday is next weekend.... So I'm afraid I'll be surrounded by giggling girls most of Saturday.... Guess what I would actually rather be doing! But am free most of Sunday so I can do anything then?

So I decided to go out with the scope tonight and went to winscar. It could have been an alright observing session however I couldn't get my scope to align. I'm not sure whether I messed up with the coordinates or didn't polar align properly. I was convinced my polar alignment was right but there were quite a few stars in view. I ended up spending an hour and a half faffing and then the clouds rolled in. I've decided that phones are useless as deciding which was is North and I had to give it up as a bad job. I can't wait to be around the top guys who know what they're doing and can give me some more practical advice and show me where I went wrong tonight.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

So I decided to go out with the scope tonight and went to winscar. It could have been an alright observing session however I couldn't get my scope to align. I'm not sure whether I messed up with the coordinates or didn't polar align properly. I was convinced my polar alignment was right but there were quite a few stars in view. I ended up spending an hour and a half faffing and then the clouds rolled in. I've decided that phones are useless as deciding which was is North and I had to give it up as a bad job. I can't wait to be around the top guys who know what they're doing and can give me some more practical advice and show me where I went wrong tonight.

I had a look out at around half 11 last night but It's that time of year when astronomical darkness never appears and the sky was a washed out light blue so deep space objects would be difficult and the moon is out which wouldn't have helped

The summer triangle was well up and I could make out the main stars of Cygnus but apart from that not much else.

Probably alignment was co ordinate issue?

Went to see mirror making supremo John Nichol yesterday and he was impressed with my mirror which is a relief

Damian

Looks like Saturday is on for the dome move, I have checked with Richard. Again he has said we prob need about 6 to lift the dome off, so if anyone else is free would appreciate some help. Will try to do the dome in the morning or whenever people are free to help, the side panels will be a little easier even though the are heavier they are easier to hold! :)

It was my first real moment of frustration with this hobby and I know whatever the issue was it will be so simple, on the plus I got home and ordered a compass so I at least know where north is because my phone doesn't seem to have a clue most of the time.

I'm going to struggle to help on saturday Soupy, I've got work till 5am and back in at 5pm :( I really want to be part of getting this dome erected.

That sounds great Damian getting the thumbs up from the expert, what you got left to do on it? Polish and coating?

I'm on night's Friday then got my girls so I'm struggling to be available sorry to say Soupy.

At present I'm on 400grit carborundum abrasive which I need to grind out the large pits. More checking with the magnifying glass (or inverted eye piece) then when I'm satisfied with that onto the 600grit aluminium oxide to do It all again.

With the grinding as it is the focal ratio may get longer (maybe end up at F3.9).

After all that (10hrs at guess?) It's onto making a pitch lap and polishing

Then come's the hardest part testing and parabolising or figuring of the mirror.

Fingers crossed I will get there but john says I'm well over the summit and on my way to making a good mirror. Time as they say will tell!

It was my first real moment of frustration with this hobby and I know whatever the issue was it will be so simple, on the plus I got home and ordered a compass so I at least know where north is because my phone doesn't seem to have a clue most of the time.

I'm going to struggle to help on saturday Soupy, I've got work till 5am and back in at 5pm :( I really want to be part of getting this dome erected.

Plenty of frustrating parts of the hobby Sam but that's the challenge of it.

July and august will be better for the scope's so no rush but I'm looking forward to this winters viewing sessions

I'm sure I'll be fine once I've had a few sessions with all you pros :) im looking forward to winter for the first time in my life! Long nights and lots of observing time. How on earth are you making a mirror? And what size is it?

At present I'm on 400grit carborundum abrasive which I need to grind out the large pits

By large pits I mean chip's in the glass and 400grit is 17.3Micron in size (0.0173mm 0.00068inch) so not large but like everest on a mirrors surface.

Archived