Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a gentle reminder that next Thursday (19th June) is our monthly society meeting,

Please be aware that we are starting the meeting early next week - at 6.30pm - at Horbury Academy, as we have secured the use of a PST solar scope from Lee at Greenwitch. So we will be having a Solar Themed meeting. Fingers crossed the weather gods will be kind and we'll be starting the meeting outside with an observing session of the sun. If you have a scope with a white light filter, please bring that along as well so we have a variety of solar scopes to work with. If its rainy/cloudy then we'll start at the same time (6.30) in our normal room and we'll have a look at some Solar related material. Having used the PST a few times and investigated coronal/prom related material in prep for this meeting, I have to say that it is a fascinating subject!

We'll then cover off our normal society updates on observing guide for June/July and plans for the upcoming months.

Few other items we would like to discuss:

Horbury Show - 29th June. We are having a stand at the show and want to finalise plans for who will be manning the stall and a request for some literature/magazines/posters to decorate the tables and boards. If you do have anything that we might be able to use, please bring it along to the meeting.

July - Paul Money - a guide to simple astro photography - would like some assistance from the society members on advertising the event.

August star party - get a better idea on numbers so we can plan a society trip to the event.

Upcoming events in Autumn/Winter.

Booked flatbed for Saturday and Sunday, so all on to for the dome move Saturday morning. It is coming to mine at 8.30 so I intend to get to the dome by 9ish. Would like as much help as possible so if you are free please let me know and I'll give you details of addresses etc.

Not sure yet Sam, I'll have to get to a point where I have all foundations laid and cured then when I am in a position to start putting up the side panels that will be it. Maybe a couple of weeks?

I've posted a request for help on the WADAS FB page and asked anyone interested to leave a comment for us to reply to. Hope that's ok, don't know how many people will be free to help but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

managed to get a curtain side truck from Leeds so should be fine to pull curtains back and have dome extend beyond the sides, so we are back on for saturday! result :)

I will contact all who have given me word they are coming on Saturday later this evening. As I will have to goto Leeds to get truck might be an idea if I meet you all at the dome unless anyone wants to come to Leeds with me to pick up the truck ;)

cheers

Soupy

That sounds like an excellent idea if you don't mind, as not sure where I was going to leave it in Leeds. Only problem is you might have to take me back to Leeds to drop the truck back off when we are finished Saturday afternoon if that's OK?

No worries. My only job on sat is to be a taxi for better half on sat evening (late) so happy for Ito drop the car off here and will bring u back after truck returned to leeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a gentle reminder that next Thursday (19th June) is our monthly society meeting,

Please be aware that we are starting the meeting early next week - at 6.30pm - at Horbury Academy, as we have secured the use of a PST solar scope from Lee at Greenwitch. So we will be having a Solar Themed meeting. Fingers crossed the weather gods will be kind and we'll be starting the meeting outside with an observing session of the sun. If you have a scope with a white light filter, please bring that along as well so we have a variety of solar scopes to work with. If its rainy/cloudy then we'll start at the same time (6.30) in our normal room and we'll have a look at some Solar related material. Having used the PST a few times and investigated coronal/prom related material in prep for this meeting, I have to say that it is a fascinating subject!

We'll then cover off our normal society updates on observing guide for June/July and plans for the upcoming months.

Few other items we would like to discuss:

Horbury Show - 29th June. We are having a stand at the show and want to finalise plans for who will be manning the stall and a request for some literature/magazines/posters to decorate the tables and boards. If you do have anything that we might be able to use, please bring it along to the meeting.

July - Paul Money - a guide to simple astro photography - would like some assistance from the society members on advertising the event.

August star party - get a better idea on numbers so we can plan a society trip to the event.

Upcoming events in Autumn/Winter.

Hooray, its not a school day for me on the 29th.

Just acquired a white light filter for my st102. will bring it along. Might have worked out how to piggy it to the cpc which will save some knob twiddling and tedious alignment.

Been a while since I have been able to get to the meetings so will be there even if the sun decides to park itself behind clouds. 

excellent news MrFinster! :)

Updated Obsy build with a few pics today, thanks guys for the hard work and patience today! Steve I know you have lots of piccies dont forget to either send me them or post a few here for a laugh :)

Archived