Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good for the new scope then ;-)

wont be in the garage, Mrs H wants to put her car in there :(

if it wasn't facing the wrong direction, the attic in step daughters new house in Halifax would be great for a viewing platform but it overlooks the town centre so too much light polloution I would think

I'm on holiday until the saturday of august bank holiday weekend and working the sunday is compulsory - so I won't be able to come. Is there a star party at kielder in october?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yea Kielder is end of oct beginning of nov week before Galloway gotta say tho Galloway is well worth the trip was amazing last year can see for yourself here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that's two star parties booked up to now so gonna have to get my self motivated. Oct me and Kieran are off to the peak star party then Nov It's galloway for some spectacular views. Orion neb in full colour!

Very nice image Kieran, hard to get as well!

Nice one Damian, I'm gonna have to get myself a pass to one of these star parties soon as well...

But never mind I am off up to Kielder again this week, hope the skies clear for a few days.

Don't forget to have a look out tonight and tomorrow for the new meteor storm. And if the moon is visible might be a chance to see some TLPs (Transient Lunar Phenomena) as they are expecting some of the storm to hit the moon, we should be able to see these strikes as small flashes in a telescope. :)

Hey guys great news. The obsy project is back on.

Just bought my dome today might need some help from some willing volunteers to construct it though. :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Just found it on ebay and went to see him today he lives in Barnsley. He has made it himself 10ft diameter, all fully computer controlled. Looks brilliant when running. Can't wait to get back from Kielder and put things in place to get it dismantled and picked up for bringing across. Will have to sort garden out for the foundations and pier, but should be good. Comes with a 12" Celestron and mount so, should get some great views. :)

Hey guys great news. The obsy project is back on.

Just bought my dome today might need some help from some willing volunteers to construct it though. :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Hope you ordered mine too soupy. Well you no I'll be there to help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Leigh will take you up on that as I was thinking how I might move it...

And thanks for your offer Kieran, I'll gladly take all help offered. Just wait till you see it. :)

Nice one Soupy! I'm up for helping - let us know when you're doing it.

Sorry to be offline for a while again - another crazy work month - end is in sight for this huge project, though.

Just twigged why the Councillors haven't responded about the grant application yet: they were waiting to see if they'd be re-elected! Doh!

So we've probably missed the boat to submit the application in time for the Horbury Show now.... But we can rewrite it a bit.

Did anyone catch the new meteor shower last night? Or is it tonight?

It will be a big project Damian. Have to decide where in the garden to site it then dig some foundations for the Obsy and separate one for the mount then consider feeding some power and internet to it. That's the job when I get back from Kielder. At least summer hols are not too far away.

power is easyish, dig a trench from the house, run some appropriate sized SWA (Steel Wire Armored) cable along it then get a sparky to connect it up.  buy the cable from a wholesaler like Edmundsons rather than B&Q is not cheap and you will save a fortune,  digging the trench and running the cable yourself willalso save on sparky bill

Archived