Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

was just in PC world buying a keyboard for the PC when I noticed they had the 1100D I been after reduced to £199,   thought I will have that at that price,

Gets even better, when I asked for it was told that's the last one, is that ok, me yeah, any chance on a discount, sales guy dunno will have to ask manager,  comes back and says £5 off, so accepted that, then asked all the leads etc are there aren't thye, yup, no instruction manual though cant find that,  but we can print that off from canons website for you,  said no as not having the manual could affect the resale value when I upgrade,  so how about some more discount or throw in a memory card, again has to go ask manager,

comes back and says another £5 off, so buy now this camera which is on offer at argos at £249 down from £279 is now costing me £190, so I buy it,

Gets home, unpacks it and no lead to connect it to PC or software CD,

Went back to shop, saw another guy on customer services explained everything including I had said how about a memory card instead of discount, again he went to see manager,  he came back said lead is just a micro USB one I can give you one of those,  and you can download the software from canons website, so said I shouldn't have to do that on a new item, off he goes again, comes back says here handing me a 16gb memory card does this make it OK,

Me yup. thank you very much, have a great day

Just got to learn how to use it now, and pop up to greenwhich for the T adapter for it

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a great result Leigh... Will be looking forward to seeing some excellent photos coming from your direction then and with new scope well, you'll be giving Kieran a run for hips money!

Was thinking laying cables would not be too difficult and one of my mates is a sparky so he should be able to do it for me at cost price. I hope. :)

kind of makes up for the mispriced Nikon I saw, don't think I will ever be in the same league as Keiran,

Its good you know a sparky might be worth asking him to get a price for the cable etc as the wholesaler will give him a bigger discount than you as a member fo the public paying cash

That is a great result Leigh... Will be looking forward to seeing some excellent photos coming from your direction then and with new scope well, you'll be giving Kieran a run for hips money!

Was thinking laying cables would not be too difficult and one of my mates is a sparky so he should be able to do it for me at cost price. I hope. :)[/quote

I bought my last cable off a company on ebay. Will check up as it was much cheaper than the wholesalers BICC too.

Internet will need cat5e cable, two sockets one for either end. Both easy jobs digging the 18" deep trench is the hard part!

We'll have a chat on the next cloud dodging session ;-)

That sounds good Damian, as might need to pick your engineering brain on a few things. Currently been doing lots of cloud dodging up in Kielder, apart from a nice solar halo yesterday, the evenings have been very cloudy, but currently in the process of negotiating on a property, so will keep you posted. Will make sure I get some land with it to enable the society to do some camping if we ever fancy a society trip up! ;)

Despite what the weather forecast says, expect clear nights until Wednesday as I failed to by astro related stuff today,  but blame me for it being cloudy for another week after that..

Did my last collection in Keighley at 3.30pm,  though hmm early finish, get to Greenwitch 30 miles away before 5 get the T ring adapter for my new camera,

Finally got there at 4.55 just before closing, told Lee I didn't think I was going to make it there before he closed and could I please have said adapter,

Lee said you going to really hate me I just sent the last one I have in stock out on a mail order,  if only you had phoned me, I could have sent that next week as customer not expecting it quite yet,  should have new stock in on Tuesday,  I can send you it out and not charge you for the postage, so i mentioned never at home, so being the top bloke he is, said I know where your office is, and I live near there wil phone you when they come in, and drop it off there for you.

Yet another moment of great customer service from Dr. Lee

Glad Lee is sorting you out Leigh, he is a very nice man!

Skies have eventually cleared up at Kielder, so spending my last night doing some imaging... Making the most of the two hours of darkness... :)

Well glad you got things sorted with the t-ring if you come along to next months meeting I've put together a very interesting talk about how to image Deep Sky Objects as we ran out of time at the last meeting. Well spend a good few days putting this together an hope that it will teach a few of you how to image properly it's a very productive talk in going to do and will have you all imaging in next to no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad Lee is sorting you out Leigh, he is a very nice man!

Skies have eventually cleared up at Kielder, so spending my last night doing some imaging... Making the most of the two hours of darkness... :)

Great stuff Paul. Can't wait to see the M57.

Like I said to Leigh before I've got a great talk on DSO's at the next meet that will benifit anyone wanting to image.

Didn't use any colours so will only be the monochrome image I have. But it's the first time I have really used the Titan on DSO. I was quite pleased with the single subs it was getting, just need to stack them now. Did almost an hour on it, then tried M51.

The Meets are always a problem for me, due to my work hours, Leave home at 4.30am I most days don't get home until between 6PM and 7PM, and need to be in bed by 9PM most weekday nights as I need to sleep at least 7 hours a night.

So don't think I would be able to make it :(

Leigh

The Meets are always a problem for me, due to my work hours, Leave home at 4.30am I most days don't get home until between 6PM and 7PM, and need to be in bed by 9PM most weekday nights as I need to sleep at least 7 hours a night.

So don't think I would be able to make it :(

Leigh

Ha ha so when u planing on using this camera like, sounds like it never gonna get any use then

and ist getting some use whilst I learning how to work it,  have photographed my newly laid garden, the step daughters new house (and the view over Halifax from her attic window, (which is a great view, but over the town centre so wouldn't be any good for an astro shot), the cat, and Mrs H, all not necessarily in that order, although it is true the last thing I took a pic of was the mrs lol 

so playing about with the camera kit lens and its settings on a  fixed vivatar £20 tripod,  got me this,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lise34mjcabzss2/SAM_0821.JPG

aint got a clue what settings I used , all I know is I had camera set to 'M' and bulb mode, think it was 30 sec0onds, exposure, aint worked out how to change iso etc yet

It's a start, but by the look of it, I think your first requirement is learning the sometimes tricky art of focusing.

Quite an orange glow as well - how bad is the light pollution from where you took the image? I have an Astronomik CLS clip-in filter for my Canon 1000D which helps a lot.

First instalment of dome setup picked up today with the help of Kieran... Pier and mount weigh a ton! Cheers matepost-22085-0-82887800-1401627176_thumb.j

Gonna be a nightmare getting done bigger job than I realised but looking forward to the challenge! :)post-22085-0-12480500-1401627296_thumb.j

Archived