SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have been shedding jobs since they took over. They have cut the staff at Scunthorpe over the last few years.

Mark

True Mark, It seems to have been south Yorkshire that has always taken the biggest job cuts even though by all accounts we are the most profitable in the group.

Scunthorpe has never had 50% of its workforce slashed but it says a lot when they are trying to offload it.

Feelings are running high at present and I'm sure they will be facing the same outlook in the not too distant future.

there blaming the strong pound

That's just one of the factors Chris

It's a global market and I'm afraid when you don't play on a level playing field with other nations it's difficult.

Lots of factors and not really worth ranting on here about it. Difficult times ahead though.

Damian

It's always the same we sell to foreign countries and they just move it all abroad run it down and close it. It's about time the government stopped it or there will be nothing left in this country

Mark

sorry i cant make it tonight for Steves talk - currently having a work related meltdown with IBM over their inability to do anything technical. Not good when they are supposed to be one of the biggest IT companies in the world.

However in brighter news, I have new glass incoming. ES 24mm 82deg ep. cant wait!

I work for tata steel at Rotherham

Hi Damian

I work in the steel construction industry and you will be surprised where we get the steel from

All in the Far East it must cost more to fetch it over than it costs to make it

Sad news when British steel sold it to corus then to tata

Neil

Hi Damian

I work in the steel construction industry and you will be surprised where we get the steel from

All in the Far East it must cost more to fetch it over than it costs to make it

Sad news when British steel sold it to corus then to tata

Neil

I'm not surprised to hear that Neil. My friend works for a firm that do car springs and they get their coil steel from Taiwan.

Just proves how cheap their labour and energy prices are

Shame you missed the talk Nick, was a great one by Steve, cheers mate. Very interesting and lots to think about. Going to have a look for some of his music now, but also to see how I can mix string theory into melodic harmonious planetary movements!

Thanks for a very informative talk Steve. I never new music and astronomy went hand in hand

Was nice to see everyone again hope u all have a lovely summer holiday see u all soon [emoji106]

Great evening again last night. Steve's talk was really interesting, and I'll definitely be looking up some of Herschal's music. Thank you all for your good company. I really did not want that alarm to go off this morning! Hope you all have a good summer, but maybe we will meet up for the Perseids if the cloud gods are kind :)

Nice to see Steve again and I'll agree with everyone that it was an enjoyable and educational talk.

Shame you couldn't make it Nick and hopefully we will all get out soon for a little bit of observing whether it's the Persieds or other.

Damian

still a clear forecast tonight so maybe some chance of some observing later on

Yeah I was thinking that, however I'm not sure how long I'm going to last after last night's little outing lol.

Thinking of trying to have another bash at M13, but we'll see ;)

Heads up every one.

Monday night there are 3 hours of astronomy programs starting at 9pm with horizon man on Mars , s@n and then horizon how big is the universe.

Sorry if u already know. Ur welcome if u don't [emoji1]

Mark

Archived