SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk about buying new gear I am toying with the idea of getting a celestron 6se OTA

But I don't know if my nexstar 4se mount will be adequate

Neil

Had a thoroughly enjoyable evening with Matt and Chris at the Monica Grady talk, hosted by WYAS who were very welcoming and provided a delicious selection of cakes.

My Rosetta/Philae poster is back on the wall, with a little addition which I am thrilled about. Yes, I know I am a bit sad, but Monica is cool :)

post-39306-0-02170600-1436911032_thumb.j

post-39306-0-54478800-1436911056_thumb.j

Had an enjoyable evening with WYAS, an excellent talk from Monica Grady about Rosetta and Philae, with home made cakes on offer afterwards - I think we'll have to crank our WADAS meetings up a notch? ;)

yep, im moving clubs if they have that every week lol, think i might get even fatter though then I am now. Was a good talk and nice evening.

Vicky, im coming Thursday, it must have been our meeting that I was thinking of when I said I was busy :) so I shall see you there, do u want any cash for that little scope as well?

what time are we planning on meeting up at lees? as I could do with you two signing me a cheque for the horbury show and for the club scope/eq3 thingy

I am working in the morning, but I don't need to go to Lee's - I was just wanting a peek at yours and Damian's goodies lol.

I would like to meet for coffee if you are still meeting up, as long as it is after lunch time.

If not, I'll catch up with you all Thursday evening :)

Had a thoroughly enjoyable evening with Matt and Chris at the Monica Grady talk, hosted by WYAS who were very welcoming and provided a delicious selection of cakes.

My Rosetta/Philae poster is back on the wall, with a little addition which I am thrilled about. Yes, I know I am a bit sad, but Monica is cool :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thats ace Vicky, glad you got it signed, Monica was lovely wasnt she.

Great news that you are coming Thursday Chris. It'll be good to see you again. Don't you even be joking about joining another club - we want you with us lol ;)

I'll bring that little scope for your daughter to use - it just needs a new screw in one of the legs as I lost one on Friday night at the camp site lol. It'll be an easy fix. The scope will take any 1.25" EP. It has one with it which will be ok for your daughter to start with, but it's not great quality. It is a gift as other people have been generous to myself and Luke in helping us get started, and it is just a little cheap scope to hopefully get your daughter started.

See you Thursday :)

Great news that you are coming Thursday Chris. It'll be good to see you again. Don't you even be joking about joining another club - we want you with us lol ;)

I'll bring that little scope for your daughter to use - it just needs a new screw in one of the legs as I lost one on Friday night at the camp site lol. It'll be an easy fix. The scope will take any 1.25" EP. It has one with it which will be ok for your daughter to start with, but it's not great quality. It is a gift as other people have been generous to myself and Luke in helping us get started, and it is just a little cheap scope to hopefully get your daughter started.

See you Thursday :)

But they had cake, im weak lol Thanks for the scope, and yep, ill see you all on Thursday :)

Time tomorrow? Would late morning about 11ish suit? Then we can go for a coffee afterwards and Vicky could join us, or were people thinking of earlier or later? I'm easy either way.

They had cake? Right we do need to up our game... ;) Was it busy?

Aw Soupy, they had loads of scrummy cakes! You missed a treat.

Yes, it was very busy. We were in a room in the club rather than in the observatory. I would say there were around 80 people there? Difficult to tell as we were sat near the front and I didn't like to keep peering round lol. It was very well attended and I have made a couple of contacts with the WYAS gang who are very welcoming. One of their chaps, who does the Yorkshire Planetarium, has given me his card and offered to come and give a talk if we ever want him to. They seem a nice bunch and have said we can come over to see them whenever we want. Also, if we have any guest speakers, just let them know and they will put a post on their website and advertise it a bit for us :)

Just thinking though...did WYAS go to the pub afterwards? ;)

No pub for WYAS Soupy, plus they charge members £3 a week for meetings on top of their subs. Their members still had to pay £3 for the talk last night. They were saying their rent is expensive, plus they have high utility costs. We are very fortunate with our costs, plus we are a set of good eggs lol. They seem a good set though over at WYAS and I think it would be nice to get to know them a bit better and try to meet up occasionally :)

Time tomorrow? Would late morning about 11ish suit? Then we can go for a coffee afterwards and Vicky could join us, or were people thinking of earlier or later? I'm easy either way.

Just let me know if you are meeting for coffee and when/where. I finish work at 11.30am so can come straight over to meet you. If you were wanting to meet earlier for morning coffee, that's ok, I'll catch up with you all tomorrow night at the meeting :)

Sounds like you all had a great time.

I can't do the morning guys as I'm working while 1.

Not much news on the new horizons probe although sending 40gb of data at 1kb a second will take rather a long time.

Think it's been too long since I did any decent observing. I will be cracking on with the scope build next week on the strength of it!

Damian

Great news if they will help with some promoting for them. Suppose it works both ways.

Glad it was a good evening, but seems expensive if you pay for membership as well as meetings.

Ok shall we aim to get there for 1.30ish? Will that work with work Damian? It will give me about 2 hours so plenty of time. :)

If Nick and Vicky want to meet a bit earlier for a coffee before, I'm free to do that as well.

Archived