Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Just popped head out again for a few minutes. Looked at milkyway and then Hercules and with averted vision was able to pick out M13. Was very faint and kept popping into view then I kept loosing it again, but at mag 5.8 it is near the limit of my night vision, but with not quite dark skies I am impressed I managed it at all!

Off to bed now a very happy camper :)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was out for a walk yesterday and found a lens cap for a canon. Did anyone lose one last time we were up?

I have got all mine, and I've checked Luke's and his is there too. It's the back cover of one of mine I have lost, the one you take off to attach the lens your camera. Don't know where I've lost that. Hate losing stuff!

Thanks for the reminder about the BBC4 programmes Damian - got them all set to record as I haven't seen any of them before.

That's my TV evening sorted!

Just heard about them losing contact with Philae - fingers crossed with that one :(

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jul/20/philae-lander-falls-silent-rosetta-scientists-say

Does anyone know what the skies are going to be like later?

Was out for a walk yesterday and found a lens cap for a canon. Did anyone lose one last time we were up?

possibly me, depending on what size lens its from,  I have misplaced one but no idea where I lost it, have bought an after market non canon replacement though

(found the Petzl head torch I phoned you about)

It is an older cap for 58 mm lens. Glad you found the red torch Leigh. Means we won't have to Nick one of the bulbs from Emley Moor tower to replace it ;)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

It is an older cap for 58 mm lens. Glad you found the red torch Leigh. Means we won't have to Nick one of the bulbs from Emley Moor tower to replace it ;)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

not mine then, I lost a 55mm one at some point.,

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

I have got all mine, and I've checked Luke's and his is there too. It's the back cover of one of mine I have lost, the one you take off to attach the lens your camera. Don't know where I've lost that. Hate losing stuff!

Thanks for the reminder about the BBC4 programmes Damian - got them all set to record as I haven't seen any of them before.

That's my TV evening sorted!

Just heard about them losing contact with Philae - fingers crossed with that one :(

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jul/20/philae-lander-falls-silent-rosetta-scientists-say

Does anyone know what the skies are going to be like later?

Sounds like it might be dying :( never give up hope though

It was clear over Horbury, however a load of heavy black clouds have descended. Going to watch S@N and see what's happening afterwards. Not looking good for any viewing later, so it may just be a case of catching up with the other 2 Horizon programmes from this evening. Just put BBC4 on ready for S@N and thinking "It's Buzz Lightyear" lol :)

The sky is clearing over Horbury, so may get a sneaky half hour in with the binos before bed.

S@N was great - recorded it so I can watch it again to take more of the information in.

Currently having a Scanners style head-exploding moment watching the second Horizon programme!

Wow! Just amazing!

Just come in after a fruitful half hour or so with the binos and 80mm frac. It just started getting a bit too hazy, so I decided to call it a night.

Had a look at our new favourite Brocchi's Cluster with the binos, and picked out a few doubles to view further with the frac.

Couldn't resist M13 as a first port of call before moving on to Vega. Then found my way across to the double-double, however I was unable to resolve the quartet, just the "double" - maybe next time! Had a quick scout around Cygnus, picking out the double Albireo. Moved around to view the Mizar-Alcor system in The Plough's handle, which looked amazing with the 10mm eyepiece. Finished my tour with Arcturus, which I have to say looked beautiful. Enjoyable evening. Now it's time for a quick cuppa before bed :)

Watched the Horizon: Man on Mars programme from last night with Sophie. I have to say it was really interesting, but we are both now wondering if we will actually see the mission coming into fruition with all the issues that still have to resolved. It would be such an amazing achievement for mankind, but can we really get there AND return safely back to Earth? Fascinating stuff.

Just watching the second Horizon programme "How Big is the Universe?". Started to watch it last night, but it blew my mind too much and I couldn't take it in.

Have to say though, I'd love to spend a night with Nick Risinger and his bank of cameras - now that is an AP set up! :)

picked up new EP from Lee today

its huuuuuuuuge!

Cant wait to use it, but the clouds gods will be properly angry at me buying something so lovely, so apologies for the clouds for the rest of the week,

ps. can noone buy anything in the first 2 weeks of August please - i want to view the persieds!

Archived