New to Stargazing and Forums

afields

Hi, I am new to stargazing and know nothing, I moved to a more rural area and have been inspired by what you can see when it's actually dark outside!  Not familiar with forums either so a full on learning curve.

Where is the best place to start?  I have binoculars not sure what spec, bought them for a jungle trip a few years ago (I wear varifocal glasses and do not find it easy to focus such items, perhaps I just need more practice?).

Have never looked through a telescope and would like to find a local group that I could meet up with and maybe someone would let me have a try.  I am very keen to learn and see the wonders of the night sky.

Any help and advice  would be much appreciated.

Amanda

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Amanda welcome to the lounge

Binoculars are a great way to learn and find your way around

the night sky, this link http://binocularsky.com/ is the best site

to give you an insight of all things binocular, from what to look

for in the night sky and how they work, I'm sure you will find it

useful, I use varifocal glasses but never wear them while observing,

you never get a perfect view, you will need single lens glasses to get a 

true focus.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Well to get you started you might want to take a look at the following:

Binocular Sky, a great site full of kit information and monthly suggested targets.

Stellarium,  a planetarium program that allows you to zoom in and to configure to your precise viewing location thereby recreating an identical night sky to that which you can see. Great for finding objects and learning the night sky.

Turn Left at Orion and you can take a preview peek here. Not the cheapest book out there but worth the money with all the information, maps and written instructions on where to find the brightest objects with modest equipment (including binoculars!)

A quick google search will help you locate your nearest astronomy society along along with any observing groups that may also be near by. This time of year will be a great time to get involved as many of these clubs provide public observation sessions which will allow you to look through different types and sizes of scopes along with the opportunity to ask questions on setting it all up etc.

Hope that helps

James

Edit: Ha Ha I must learn to type quicker as my first suggestion already promoted!  :grin:

Hi, Amanda, and a warm welcome to SGL and to astronomy! You have made a good start by joining this forum - there is a dedicated binocular discussion group which can be found on th main page under 'Equipment'. If you want to know what to look at, and how to find it I can recommend a free sofware planetarium programme called 'Stellarium' (Downloadable from here:  http://stellarium.org/ ) This can be customised to you location and sky conditions. There is also a number of local groups listed on the main page under 'Astro events' and 'Social Groups'. It may give one local to you - or other members may be able to help.

Hope this helps,

Martin

P. S: Others beat me to it, too!!

Welcome to SGL Amanda - This is a great place to be, folks are helpful and no question goes unanswered. There's some great starters information around, so pull up a chair and enjoy both astronomy and forum life!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Archived