NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M27 - Dumbell search

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it's a lovely sight.  Moonshane guide is spot on.  Find Gamma Sagittae - y -  the star  and M27 will both be in the field of view of the finder.  As the image is inverted through the 9x50, think of a clock,  place gamma at the bottom of the view in your finder about 6 o'clock,  and M27 will be at the top of your finder about 12.  

The view will be worth it - its a real gem !

andrew

All good advice from the others and going from Gamma Sagitta should work a treat. I center and put about 25x on this star and then twist the Declination upwards toward Polaris. The Dumbell is nearly on the same track a few twists away. Pan slowly with averted vision as you would when searching for any DSO and voila!!!

UHC works very nice on this one. Nice found you will never miss it again! Clear skies.

The first time I saw it was through another SGL members scope & he'd already got it in view, I found it using my own scope (200p) last night for the first time using Sagitta & its a real gem, much bigger than the galactic 'smudges' (M31 maybe the exception  :grin: ) I took it to 100x but looked alot clearer (distinct apple core shape) @ 42x & as Nick mentions above, a UHC filter brings it out well.

Steve

A while ago I stumbled upon it without realizing what I was looking at, but even then I thought it was a wonderful object.

Swedeman2013, I think using a Telrad or similar zero-magnification finders will help you find your object more quickly.

Totally agree with you there mate, I used my Telrad to get the area in sight & then homed in with the 9x50 although didnt really need it with M27 as it was bang on with the Telrad, Got M57 for the first time also & definitely needed both there as even with the 9x50 it wasnt easy, it sort of came in & out of focus due to the seeing but determination won as its a very nice (albeit small) target to bag. :smiley:   

Funnily enough, the Dumbell is an object that i have never seen nor hunted. You would think it is on the list of the usual suspects for most observers. 

Same here. Looking forward to giving this one a go next time I'm out.

Just had a quick peek outside with my bins. The coathanger was easy to find from Sagitta (another first for me, thanks for the tip Moonshane!), but no dumbell yet...

Archived