SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Scale of 12" dob...

I was able to observe seated with my 12" F4.9 Dobsonian, including at zenith, perched on my adjustable observers chair. I have recently purchased a second hand OOUK14" dobsonian. It blends into the house / room space well, even my wife thinks its OK, after intial thoughts of it resembling a boiler. It is F4.5 and I expect to be able to observe whilst seated with this set up.

post-22819-0-19774300-1379717127_thumb.j

• Like 1

Where do you get them from?

Orion Optics will make the aluminum ones for about £400. Shane made me mine along the same lines from 18mm Baltic ply and somewhat less cost  :smiley: 

It's really stable - 400x is no problem.

Mmm...as tempting as it seems, I think it's too big for a small house.

I could imagine me bringing it into the house and the wife will do this to it :D

brucefirescope1.jpg

I found this image quite disturbing!

Even if money were no object and I no longer needed it, I'd never do this to a reasonably decent 'scope.

Even if the mirror was completely useless, the tube, focuser and finder look intact.

I'm in the process of "handing on" my scuba equipment, which will probably go to a good home for free, burning it never even crossed my mind!

Cheers

• Like 2

brucefirescope1.jpg

Bruce looking through his "Fire Scope."

He had bought a 16-inch dobsonian telescope, and the thing was a monster; heavy to lug around. So Bruce decided to rebuild it.

Since he didn't need the tube and mount, he brought it out to the club's annual December bonfire and threw it in. We joked "how's the seeing?" and he walked up to it and looked through the focuser.

Bruce posted something about it on an online newsgroup, complaining about "tube currents" and how the manufacturer never contacted him.

Perhaps a cooling fan would've helped?

I don't own either, but it is often said 10 inch is the kind of comfortable limit that can be easily handled by one person. I suppose a consideration has to be how far you have to carry it around, If 20 meters more in a garden when you observe from different spots in a session ( as I do ) I suppose 12 inch could become a bit of a burden.

If you got a good back and are up to it why not 12 inch, it keeps you warm carrying it around a bit in the cold winter   :smiley:

Edited by AlexB67
  • Like 1

I've had hands-on experience of the SW 200p and 250px solid tube and lately the 300p Flextube Dob. I'm about 5ft 10in tall and have a slightly dodgy back which occasionally reminds me to lift by 'bending my knees'. So far I don't sit down but prefer to stand, with the scope mounted on a water butt stand with levelling feet. This makes the eyepiece of the 300p just a little high when pointing at the Zenith (I stand slightly on tip toes).

I always think of these scopes as being heavy, bulky items with delicate, easily damaged parts. WIth the 200p I tried once or twice to move it around the garden assembled and then gave that up. With the 250 and the 300p I am not prepared to do so and always split and carry the Dob in two parts.

I carry the solid tube with one hand on the mirror cradle/tube end casting and the other around the tube at about two thirds of the length. With the Flextube so far I have always collapsed the structure, locked the turnscrews, and carried it by the frame casting at the bottom of the secondary mirror tube. This method is awkward with the weight extended away from my body. This is especially true when climbing or descending stairs especially since ours are sort of spiral ones with no clear headroom. I'm looking for a better way.

The SW Dob mount base circles are identical for the 200p and 250px (52cm diameter) and 62cm for the 300p. The 300p base is a bit more heavy and awkward and probably needs a second handle. Overall I'd say that the 300p Flextube is at the limit of my ability to manhandle on my own. I can't imagine getting along with a Flextube GoTo version with the extra weight of the motors.

By the way rumour has it that some of the even larger SW Dobs won't pass through a standard door way!

i would second what Avocette says above,

the 300 flextube is fairly heavy if you are of slight build or have a bad back, joints, [insert malady here].

I collapse my OTA down, but leave a 4" gap between the top and bottom parts. To move it, I grab the primary mirror casting with my right hand and my left hand goes in the 4" gap next to one of the truss sections and i hoik it around like that. That way I have a firm grip with my fingers on two parts of the scope, which in my opinion is slightly safer than one hand gripping and the other 'cuddling' the ota. Also has the advantage of being able to twist your body and tube about to get past obstacles and though narrow gates etc.

The base is big, heavy and awkward - although mine is the tracking version with motors - but either way the truss tube 300 dob bases are taller than non truss tubes and therefore heavier and more awkward.

If i had to move mine about more than the 20 feet from my garage to the back garden / boot of my car, I would seriously reconsider the 12" and look at a 10" non auto / non flextube designed dob.

Nick

• Like 1