Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scale of 12" dob...

if you have a  bigger car the same would apply to the 12 inch flex I guess, economies of scale as it were :smiley: 

I profess to actually measuring the dimensions of my 12" flextube and base and using those as a pre-requisite in buying my car. Hence why i ended up with an audi a6 estate. even then, its a snug fit. Fully collapsed the ota just fits in the back seat with about an inch of headroom. It then gets strapped in with the seat belt 'woven' through the flextube tubes to stop it moving and prevent it becoming a flying missile if i have an accident.

the boot is big enough for the tracking dob base lying down with some padding, my EP case and some extra clothes in case i get cold. But thats all quite snug too... they are surpisingly bulky when dismantled and being shoehorned into a car!

• Thanks 1

12" F4 beside an 8" F4

Dscf6706_1024_zps749f69b2.jpg

My Dad beside the 12" F4 mounted

Dscf6816_1024_zps4c9afc45.jpg

Be prepared- they are BIG! I had to buy a NINE step stepladder in the end to safely reach the camera!

I don't know, man. Every time I look at the amount of load your have on your mount I just cringe. Then again, you've proved once again that mounts could take probably more than their limits once properly balanced.

5'10" with 12" FlexTube and 5" frac. I can view zenith comfortably without a stool or cuban heels.

muppeto.jpg

Russell

Hi Russell, can you tell what you made the shroud out of for the middle bit ( behind the flextubes ) seems from the picture it just slides in an out with it nicely, looks neat :)

Edited by AlexB67

Hi Russell, can you tell what you made the shroud out of for the middle bit ( behind the flextubes ) seems from the picture it just slides in an out with it nicely, looks neat :)

It's more of the camping mat used to make the dew shield. It took a bit of trial end effort, but it's a tight interference fit inside the tubes and you just fold it in half, stick it in and it springs out to hold itself in place. I butt jointed the two ends using superglue.

I like it because it's a lot lighter than say an Astrozap oe Astro Engineering shroud, so it contributes virtually nothing to balance issues.

Russell

I have a question as well Russell. Why the shield on the front of your 300P? Is it to stop the secondary dewing up? Thanks!

I like your shroud as well. I stumped up silly money for an Astrozap.

Exactly that, plus it does provide a bit of extra light shielding as the SW Dobs, like most, don't quite project far enough past the secondary to prevent incident light hitting the focuser.

Russell

• Like 1

Exactly that, plus it does provide a bit of extra light shielding as the SW Dobs, like most, don't quite project far enough past the secondary to prevent incident light hitting the focuser.

Russell

Thanks for that. Might give it a go :)

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 23/09/2013 at 10:54, nicks90 said:

i would second what Avocette says above,

the 300 flextube is fairly heavy if you are of slight build or have a bad back, joints, [insert malady here].

I collapse my OTA down, but leave a 4" gap between the top and bottom parts. To move it, I grab the primary mirror casting with my right hand and my left hand goes in the 4" gap next to one of the truss sections and i hoik it around like that. That way I have a firm grip with my fingers on two parts of the scope, which in my opinion is slightly safer than one hand gripping and the other 'cuddling' the ota. Also has the advantage of being able to twist your body and tube about to get past obstacles and though narrow gates etc.

The base is big, heavy and awkward - although mine is the tracking version with motors - but either way the truss tube 300 dob bases are taller than non truss tubes and therefore heavier and more awkward.

If i had to move mine about more than the 20 feet from my garage to the back garden / boot of my car, I would seriously reconsider the 12" and look at a 10" non auto / non flextube designed dob.

Nick

Hi Nick, I’m new on here and looking at getting a SW flextube 300 goto.  My concern is the base weight as I’d prefer to put in the car and take 20 mins to a darker sky site though I would use in my back garden too.  Do you know or can estimate the weight of the base (without the OTA on)?  I might have to go for a 250 or even 200 if the 300 weight is too much.  I’m a fairly fit but not muscly 6’2” 53 yr old bloke if that helps.

33 minutes ago, James1967 said:

Hi Nick, I’m new on here and looking at getting a SW flextube 300 goto.  My concern is the base weight as I’d prefer to put in the car and take 20 mins to a darker sky site though I would use in my back garden too.  Do you know or can estimate the weight of the base (without the OTA on)?  I might have to go for a 250 or even 200 if the 300 weight is too much.  I’m a fairly fit but not muscly 6’2” 53 yr old bloke if that helps.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Here is a more recent thread on the 300P Synscan dobsonian which may help on the general portability / practicality of these scopes:

• Thanks 1

Hey James

I recantly purchased the 300 flextube- I have transported it in then car a few times- Im mid 50's generally good health but just a stubby 5'7 and not muscly either but managed it ok- little bulky but manageable in shortish carrying sessions- I managed to put  the base in the boot of my seat leon saloon with no real issues- Its the Tube thats a heavy bleeder- but just be sure footed and take your time- tube and base are manageable if you take it easy

I fashioned a DIY trolly to sit the base feet in- 4 lockable wheels did the job-really handy when moving it about generally and observing.

J

Edited by jacobingonzo
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, IanC11 said:

Skywatchers site says shipping weight is 21kg + 23kg with the tube weighing 21kg so that would make the base around 20Kg ( the smaller of the 2 packages when shipped )

Thanks.  The only SW website I could find was showing the one without the goto, motor drive etc, here

http://www.skywatcher.com/product/bk-dob-12-collapsible/

this has the same weights that you mentioned.  This one below says 46kg total for goto.  Around this weight is fine (each weighing about a full suitcase - no issue for me)

https://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/telescopes/dobsonians/skywatcher-dobsonian-skyliner-250p-flextube-synscan-goto-dobsonian

to be honest, these are fine, but I saw somewhere on SGL (can’t find now, sorry) a mention of ~40kg+ just for the base/mount, which would be prohibitive.  I’ve fired off a few emails to suppliers too now, so I’m sure I’ll get to the bottom of it.  Thanks again.

You don’t happen to have one to sell do you - save me waiting for the new stock? 😄

5 hours ago, jacobingonzo said:

Hey James

I recantly purchased the 300 flextube- I have transported it in then car a few times- Im mid 50's generally good health but just a stubby 5'7 and not muscly either but managed it ok- little bulky but manageable in shortish carrying sessions- I managed to put  the base in the boot of my seat leon saloon with no real issues- Its the Tube thats a heavy bleeder- but just be sure footed and take your time- tube and base are manageable if you take it easy

I fashioned a DIY trolly to sit the base feet in- 4 lockable wheels did the job-really handy when moving it about generally and observing.

J

Brilliant, that’s just what I wanted to hear.  The tube seems definitely to be just over 20kg (but without carrying handles that make it feel tougher to carry I guess).  It was the base/mount that concerned me, so you’ve answered my question.  DIY trolley sounds just the job too 👍 Many thanks.

6 hours ago, John said:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Here is a more recent thread on the 300P Synscan dobsonian which may help on the general portability / practicality of these scopes:

Thank you so much Neutron Star, that’s really helpful.

what a great community here 😃

• Like 1

15 hours ago, James1967 said:

Thanks.  The only SW website I could find was showing the one without the goto, motor drive etc, here

http://www.skywatcher.com/product/bk-dob-12-collapsible/

this has the same weights that you mentioned.  This one below says 46kg total for goto.  Around this weight is fine (each weighing about a full suitcase - no issue for me)

https://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/telescopes/dobsonians/skywatcher-dobsonian-skyliner-250p-flextube-synscan-goto-dobsonian

to be honest, these are fine, but I saw somewhere on SGL (can’t find now, sorry) a mention of ~40kg+ just for the base/mount, which would be prohibitive.  I’ve fired off a few emails to suppliers too now, so I’m sure I’ll get to the bottom of it.  Thanks again.

You don’t happen to have one to sell do you - save me waiting for the new stock? 😄

I've got the 16" GOTO model and the base for that only weighs 35Kg, I had the 12" GOTO before this and the base was a lot smaller and lighter so there's no way the base will be 46Kg

Thanks Ian.  That makes sense too, comparing with the 27kg for the 10” stated on the German website I found.  
Can I also ask which accessories I should buy upfront.  Most people say ‘wait and see’ which is my approach, but things like dew shields or heaters seem pretty much required (I’m in North Yorkshire).  Any tips warmly welcome.  
thanks again,

James

1st thing would be a shroud, then probably a Telrad or Rigel, both a far easier to use than the supplied 9x50 finder, especially when observing anything near the zenith when you may end up on a step ladder ( depending how tall you are ).  The head of a 2Kg lump hammer and magnet may be useful as well if your planning to use any heavy eyepieces and you can stick it to the mirror end to balance the weight out.

I also fitting a cooling fan to help speed up mirror cooling ( approx £20 at the time ).

Dew prevention and eyepiece choices can wait until your used to your set up and know what your likely to be targeting.

Ian

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, IanC11 said:

And one other big tip. get yourself 3 pieces of wood, 6"x 6" x 3/4"+ , put these under the base feet and it stops the feet sinking into soft ground.

That’s fantastic Ian, thank you so much for all the recommendations and tips, really appreciated.