Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nagler 3-6mm Zoom

Pig

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That says it all I guess Calvin, it looks like I will have to take the plunge and get one :smiley:

I am pondering over the ES 24mm 82 Deg but I am concerned my Delos eyepieces will beat it up at night when my eyepiece case is closed :grin:

I have the Nagler 3-6mm zoom and also the Baader Planatarium 8-24mm zoom and while the Baader is a nice EP the Nagler will really knock your socks off. Its really a marvel and for the cost your basically getting 4 high quality planetary eyepieces for the price of one.

Pig,

I would go for the 24mm Panoptic if you want to stay with the Televue brand. It is a superb eyepiece, regarded by many as the finest 1.25 inch eyepiece made. If you want to switch to the Maxvision brand the 24mm that was once Meade, this is very good, I had one a few years back.

The 27mm Panoptic is also a fine eyepiece a few on site have them and speak very highly of the quality, it is one that so far I have not had my hands on.

Alan.

Alan, I think the 24 panoptic will be the one to go for, they also seem to keep their value which is always a good thing. Do you know if there is a big difference in weight between the 24 & 27 ?

I have the Nagler 3-6mm zoom and also the Baader Planatarium 8-24mm zoom and while the Baader is a nice EP the Nagler will really knock your socks off. Its really a marvel and for the cost your basically getting 4 high quality planetary eyepieces for the price of one.

I couldn't agree more it really is splendid :smiley:

Practically this 3-6mm zoom is money saver...it cost less than 3-4 short focal length eyepieces, and it is more convenient.

I have to say, that before i got one, i searched a lot at several forums, and i noticed that nobody had bad or neutral thoughts about this item.

I'm actually considering buying one of these zooms new at the moment. Would it be worth it do you think?

The UK pricing is all over the place on these. Anyone found one under £300? What's the rough guide for a s/h one?

The two I've owned cost around £200 each, used. I'm a devil for ferreting out bargains though :smiley:

They are very nearly as good as a Baader Genuine Ortho with a bit more FoV and eye relief so add the cost of 4 Baader GO's together plus a chunk of cash for the convenience factor and if you can get a Nagler 3-6 zoom for less than that you have good value :smiley:

I must say the 6-3mm is tempting at less than £300. Weren't these upwards on £400 before the price reduction?

I believe they were near that. I got mine for quite a lot less (just less than £300) than the price before reduction, and roughly equivalent to what I would have paid now.

Might get one from SCS Astro. £290 seems pretty acceptable to me for what is effectively every possible magnification between 125x - 250x in my grab and go. Means I'd only need this one eyepiece and something in the 50-75x area for lower power to travel with. I have a 10mm Delos already and that'd give 75x.

I've got an open wanted ad, I guess I'll see if that brings anything in the next week or so and if not I'll put up some cash for one from SCS.

I think I paid 240 for mine from a site member but I could be wrong, I bought so much stuff when I was in England. Even though John paid less I still feel 240 is a dam good price, new they were 350 the last time I saw one before the reductions. I still think if you can get one for what I paid it's well worth it, the problem is getting one secondhand at all.

Alan.

I believe they were near that. I got mine for quite a lot less (just less than £300) than the price before reduction, and roughly equivalent to what I would have paid now.

I think even now with the price reduction, these will still command a fairly high used price. As John says, 4 quality high power eps in a single user friendly package is a very desirable thing indeed.

There is a 3 to 6mm on Fleabay at the moment, but it is £210 already with over 3 days to go. Will probably end up stupidly high I expect but worth keeping an eye on..... If you are prepared to buy from there that is :-)

Stu

Alan, I think the 24 panoptic will be the one to go for, they also seem to keep their value which is always a good thing. Do you know if there is a big difference in weight between the 24 & 27 ?

My printed TV spec sheet says the Pan 24 weighs 0.51 lbs, the Pan 27 is 1.03 lbs. So the 27 is double the weight, but has 19mm eyerelief against the 15mm ER on the P24.

I had the 24, but changed it for the 27, can never quite decide if I did the right thing..........

The 27 does require significantly more out focus, so that could be a factor because it's nice to have a parfocal set, and the 24 is the same parfocal 'B' group of loads of TVs other EPs.

Regards, Ed.

Going to get a new one. Phoned Telescope House and asked them to price match the SCS Astro price which they did.

I figure if i'm happy to pay £240 second hand and there are some known issues with eyelash grease getting on the eye glass portal due to eye relief then paying £50 more for peace of mind that it's pristine and never been dirtied is worth it. It's worth that extra to me anyway. I want this for when I go on holiday in a few weeks as well and I doubt one will come up in the meantime second hand anyway.

So all things being good I should have one before the end of the week :)

Archived