Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nagler 3-6mm Zoom

Pig

Go for the 22mm angler it will show more fov than the pan and darker sky and will equal the delos :D

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

I might well do, I got my 3-6mm for £300 from The Widescreen Centre :smiley:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My printed TV spec sheet says the Pan 24 weighs 0.51 lbs, the Pan 27 is 1.03 lbs. So the 27 is double the weight, but has 19mm eyerelief against the 15mm ER on the P24.

I had the 24, but changed it for the 27, can never quite decide if I did the right thing..........

The 27 does require significantly more out focus, so that could be a factor because it's nice to have a parfocal set, and the 24 is the same parfocal 'B' group of loads of TVs other EPs.

Regards, Ed.

Thank you Ed -

I will probably get something this weekend I do prefer more eye relief :smiley:

It looks like I missed out on Stu's 22 Nagler today

Going to get a new one. Phoned Telescope House and asked them to price match the SCS Astro price which they did.

I figure if i'm happy to pay £240 second hand and there are some known issues with eyelash grease getting on the eye glass portal due to eye relief then paying £50 more for peace of mind that it's pristine and never been dirtied is worth it. It's worth that extra to me anyway. I want this for when I go on holiday in a few weeks as well and I doubt one will come up in the meantime second hand anyway.

So all things being good I should have one before the end of the week :)

I agree for the sake of £50 its got to be worth a new one :smiley:

Regarding an EP in the gap between the 17.3 Delos and 34 MaxVision: I would certainly consider the 24mm MaxVision. I use it with various scopes, and it holds its own between the Naglers, XWs, XF, and now Delos I own. At the current price I would really think hard before going for a Panoptic 24mm (great though that is by all reports). The MaxVision has a touch more eye relief (17-18mm or so), and is very good in my F/6 APO, giving equal quality views compared to the Nagler 22. The latter blows it out of the water in terms of FOV, but in nothing else. I will give the 24 MaxVision a spin in my kids' F/4.3 mini-Dob (once I got that collimated again), to see how it performs there. My guess is that coma from the parabolic mirror will be the main problem.

MIchael is the contrast as black as the Delos with the 24mm maxi ? my 34mm maxi is no where near as dark under the same conditions as any of my Delos eyepieces :smiley:

Higher magnification makes for darker background skies which might explain this. My 31mm Nagler does not present as dark a background sky as my 20mm ES 100 does.

Thank you John, is it a gradual change ? or od do you notice shift at a given magnification :smiley:

Ed here not John :smiley:

I'd definitely say it's a gradual change. I've way too many EPs, and notice a darker more contrasty sky background at each higher magnification and consequent smaller exit pupli, and all the scopes I've had have shown the same.

The other effect for me is that my minor astigmatism is helped by a smaller exit pupil. At a recent trip to my club's dark site, I compared my 27 Pan in my 10" Dob with a borrowed clubmates 24 Pan :- a bit darker sky and sharper stars with the slightly smaller exit pupil. As I said, used to own a 24 Pan, can't quite decide which I like best, I like the 27s eyerelief and larger field better.........everythings a trade off I suppose. But the 2 EPs are too close to own both I think.

I also tried a 41 Pan from the same clubmate, but even under a good sky it showed a very washed out sky background, and it played havoc with my astigmatism due to the 8.5mm exit pupil. Not in any way a fault of the EP of course, works great in his big F10 SCT.

Decisions are tough :grin: Ed.

I limit my upper eyepieces to 5mm exit pupils even though that limits my lowest magnification in my main scope to 68x. I can dialte to 7mm I'm sure I just don't enjoy the washed out views at that end of the scale.

I tend to do that too. My Nagler 31 is the exception as that gives 5.85mm EP with my 12" F/5.3 dob but I find I use the 20mm ES 100 more with that scope anyway.

I know some folks think that these big 100 degree eyepieces are a gimmick but they do allow manageable exit pupils in fast scopes while showing a lot of sky at a reasonably high magnification and therefore darker background skies :smiley:

It probably depends largely on the quality of your skies. Mine are awfully light polluted and so anything past 5mm is basically orange with white stars unless im at zenith.

Back on to the 3-6mm zoom, I just placed the order this morning for £290 :D excited now!

Next on my list is 13mm Ethos. That one I think I will have to wait to come up on the s/h market though....

Perhaps it's just my age, but I find 5mm is no problem, even 6.4mm is fine - gives a nice black background (that's the 32mm in an F/5), perhaps I should try the 32mm in the 10" dob, the exit pupil is only 6.8mm :).

Try it - the worst that can happen is that a % of the light gathered by the primary does not get into your eye.

As you get older, the max dilated exit pupil does diminish though - I'm 53 and I guess you are a lot younger than me Jonathan !

Try it - the worst that can happen is that a % of the light gathered by the primary does not get into your eye.

As you get older, the max dilated exit pupil does diminish though - I'm 53 and I guess you are a lot younger than me Jonathan !

At 22, yes :). I will try it, as you say the worst that can happen is that I end up stopping down the scope effectively.

It probably depends largely on the quality of your skies. Mine are awfully light polluted and so anything past 5mm is basically orange with white stars unless im at zenith.

Back on to the 3-6mm zoom, I just placed the order this morning for £290 :D excited now!

Next on my list is 13mm Ethos. That one I think I will have to wait to come up on the s/h market though....

Congrats on the order, you'll enjoy it :). The eye relief isn't bad either, you have to get quite close but it's not orthoscopic levels of eye relief ;).

My skies have a degree of LP too, especially when observing away from the area around the zenith.

Congrats on the Nagler zoom order :smiley:

The 13mm Ethos is probably the best all-round eyepiece I own - a stunner in all scopes :grin:

My NELM is somewhere between 3/4 on the horizon to 5.5 at Zenith. Where do you take the reading to state your skies' NELM?

Yesterday I was attempting to do the Pegasus test someone mentioned in another thread where you count the number of stars visible to the naked eye in between the Pegasus square. My count was zero at 9pm and I could actually almost not see the lowest star making up the square.. it was hazy/misty though I guess. Later in the evening I saw about 3 or 4 stars in the square at the very limit of my vision, it was still relatively low at that point though.

I can usually see the Milky Way through Cygnus / Cassiopeia, the double cluster and M31 naked eye visible on a half decent night. Much less at lower altitudes though due to LP and extinction. I use the stars in the "square" of Ursa Minor as a guide to seeing - if I can clearly see all 4 then it's not too bad.

The guardian stars in Ursa Minor are pretty much always visible but the other pair are very much dimmer to me. I can rarely if ever see these as soon as I go out but usually once I dark adapt I can see them unless they are pointing down in relation to Polaris. I find the stars connecting the square to polaris are about the same visiblity as the pair of dim stars in the square.

As I am sure I have said before my skies are as good as they get and I never pay a blind bit of notice to exit pupil, my cut off point is when the scope and eyepiece don't work well enough together and you get the black spot of the mirror. This is normally over 7mm ExPupil.

Congratulations on the order of the 3-6mm Nagler zoom, trust me you won't regret that move.

Alan.

True enough Shaun, I was meaning my faster scopes. I use the 35mm Panoptic with the F5.26 M/N all the time and the E/Pup is about 7 ish and the results are superb. I have a sky to die for out there to-night and still can't get the scopes out due to the badly twisted ankle, maybe tommorrow.

Alan.

Archived