Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Refractor Madness

John

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a magnificently crazy setup John, looks absolutely amazing :-). I think it has confirmed that my 6" scope ambitions must stop with an f8 ED of some sort, there's no way I would get that one past the long suffering Mrs Makstutov :-).

The mount looks well up to the job, glad you managed to find something suitable. I'm sure you'll get to an optimum configuration with a bit of experimenting with ep height, balance etc. I guess you would be able to stand for low objects and sit for those near the zenith?

Bet you can't wait for some clear skies, looking forward to hearing all about it. First target? A nice tight double or Jupiter?

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Stu

Thanks for the comments folks. Olly is right about the eyepiece height when viewing the zenith area - it's still too low for comfort. I'll be thinking about a pillar extension but it will need to be a 6" diameter one. 

An observatory just won't fit in the garden, unfortunately, Stu. I know I'm being ambitious having a long 6" refractor without having it permanently mounted but you have to go with what you have and make the best of it.

Damn, the more I browse this thread the more I'd love to observe with a big, slow achromat. I've never ever done so. (Well a 15 inch Grubb on an an awful night for twenty seconds.) Its just, well, a link with the great observers of the past. Barnard, my hero!! (John, my hero!!!!)

Olly

Damn, the more I browse this thread the more I'd love to observe with a big, slow achromat. I've never ever done so. (Well a 15 inch Grubb on an an awful night for twenty seconds.) Its just, well, a link with the great observers of the past. Barnard, my hero!! (John, my hero!!!!)

Olly

Thats sort of how I think of it Olly  :smiley:

I expect the likes of Barnard and Dawes had some hired muscle to set up their scopes though. Muggins here is getting a good workout by doing it myself :tongue:  

Wow, where on earth did you manage to get a Bray Tablet from? Can't they handle a C14 too?

Yes, the previous owner said that he had put a C14 on it. Didn't need a counterweight either, apparently.

The Bray Tablet had been on my "wish list" for this scope for some time and fortunately my SGL colleague Helen spotted one for sale, together with the humungous Meade tripod. Thanks Helen  :smiley:

The photos really don't show the scale of the setup. The tripod dwarfs my CG5 Tripod which has the 2" steel tubed legs, like the EQ6, and I thought that was a pretty hefty piece of kit ......

looking really good John, pleased the mounting system is working, just a little idea but how about getting 3 tree trunk section logs to put one under each leg of tripod, if they were cut neatly from a 12" diameter trunk and each one was about 12" high, this would push the scope up, be very stable and when not in use put a plant pot on each log

Looking very good John. Look forward to hearing how it all works in action, as it were. Olly's not wrong on the 12" assistant though...same problem with mine. Shane's idea seems sensible though - I may look into that myself!

Thanks for the suggestions re: raising the eyepiece height. I like the idea of putting log sections under the tripod legs and adding weight to the focuser end is a good plan too  :smiley:

I'm going to be torn when it comes to SGL9 as I know I can't fit both my 12" dob and the 6" refractor in the car. Perhaps I'll have to flip a coin !

It's a scope perfect for comet hunting.

Not sure about that ?

It's an F/12 - 1800mm focal length. All my other scopes would produce wider fields of view than this one, more suited to comet hunting, I'd have thought. 

Of course, if I do spot a comet with it I won't complain  :smiley:

Archived