NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from South London

Neuromante

Hi all,

My name is Jorge, and I live in South London. I am originally from Spain, and after several years away from astronomy, I am getting into it again.

For sure, London is not the best sky for this, but hey, there are good places at less than one hour drive from here to the south, so, here I am.

I have bought today a Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan. I have been reading in this forum for many days pros and cons of different telescopes, and finally this one catched me.

I haven't had yet time to test it, because... well, English summer, you know about it :D

Pleased to be here.

:)

Welcome Jorge. There are a few on here who are based in and around the London area who can advise on dark sites. There are also astro societies or clubs that would be worth contacting, I'm sure someone will come up with a contact.

Best of luck and clear skies

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Greetings fellow Londoner. I too am stuck under the constant orange glow of London. Depending where you are in South London there are often darker sites you can use to observe: I use Bushy Park which is far darker than the surrounding suburbs and is open 24 hours (Except when they cull the deer in September and November). It's best to find somewhere safe to observe or take someone with you, although Bushy is very safe indeed - having a highly portable 'scope is a real boon too. I've been eyeing up the 127 Mak as my next 'scope.

Good luck!

DD

Hi all,

Thanks for the warm welcome, that's really nice. I haven't seen people so friendly in a forum in a long, long, long time!

I live, to be precise, in Croydon, and I work farther south, so each day I drive/cycle throught the countryside; I have my eye already in several spots :p

Also, in terms of societies, I have been planing for ever to attend the talks organised by the local astronomical society... but then I never go!

Well, people, thanks again for the welcome.

J.

Archived