SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

for the colder weather

firstscope

Well if you found yourself observing alone in a remote carpark, that ought to scare any unwelcome visitors off!

Personally for winter, I would be looking at down jackets, perhaps with a hood - very warm whilst you are standing around and windproof.

It very cheap and looks a bargain, im not sure if it would have the insulation properties required for standing around in. With some tights underneath and a base layer, it should be fine :smiley:

For the original question a down jacket and a couple of good layers works good. Trouble is the one place that sold reasonable cost jackets I see their price has gone up and the amount of down reads as if it has gone down. Sure the one I got had a higher rating then the present ones. It was also £45 less.

For your feet see if you can get hold of snow boots, look at the Go Outdoors shops, although they advertise a lot but never seem to have what I want, or it is in a different shop over 100 miles away. They are also good for warm socks.

As mentioned fishing gear is a good thought, as is some of the motor cycling stuff.

Have a look at various places as it is still warm a lot of the cold weather stuff is still inexpensive

Buy some Ski Clothing and thermal underwear. Often get this sort of stuff is on offer from Groupon or Voucher. It works brilliantly with a pair of snowboots. Thats hardly the issue in this cuintry though - getting the clear skies to enable you to wear it outside is more the issue here.... six clear nights the whole of last winter where i live (and not that many over summer either).

Thought there was too much cloud and rain to get down to -5C in Dublin. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Usually that is true. The last couple of winters we have gotten down to about -13C on a regular nightly basis. We've also had more snow in the last two yrs then we have had since the big freeze of 198? (the year band aid came out)................winter 1983?

Archived