NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1318 (Butterfly nebula) in mono

swag72

This may be a work in progress as I may capture another pane underneath this one to capture the butterfly totally. As this wasn't what I was going for, I didn't know what I was missing and would have framed it differently if only I'd realised!!

My first thoughts with the combination I am using at the moment is that it's frankly creating some great data. The 3nm Ha filter is really pulling out the detail and it's extremely noise free. It takes so little processing it's frankly amazing me.

I think this one seems to be quite deep compared to others I have seen. Would welcome your thoughts on this. Do you think it's too much?

Details

M: HEQ5

T: Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x

C: Atik 460EX mono and 3nm Ha filter

11x1800s calibrated with flats

post-5681-0-14209600-1371463439_thumb.jp

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sara - that is superb. Lovely tonal range and very tight stars right across the frame, even the bright one hasn't burnt out! Could be a tad lighter but that may be more my monitor

Super. Look forward the the next installment...

Can you imagine what the heavens would look like at night if our eyes were also as sensitive to Ha as this 3nm filter :rolleyes:? It's almost unbelievable how much signal there is in this... and those stars are SO tight - I'm very much looking forward to the next one :smiley:

Thanks all for your comments.

@Mark - It's very nice to be able to not have to process it to death! There's a significant noise reduction compared to what I was experiencing with the 7nm Baader.

@Andy - The next one is on the post-it-note ready for the next clear night!

Another excellent image Sara :). If funds allowed I would go straight for a Tak FSQ85 and skip the ED80 ;).

+1 for Dave's comment, this could get expensive quickly if I keep looking at your images, but I can't help it!

I think this is the best you've ever posted, Sara.

I've just peered at it next to mine of the same region, mine using the FSQ106 rather than the FSQ85, but with bigger pixels. You have finer detail and better contrast, not a shadow of a doubt. You have a lot more data, too, but your setup of 460/Astrodon and a rather familiar FSQ85 is really singing now. I'd be a little softer on clipping back the black point (easy does it) but , holy smoke, I think I might retire and let you get on with it!!

This really is a fine image - and do go for the whole butterfly. It's a super object, rarely examinied on its own.

Olly

Thank you Olly and Steve.

@Olly - I was really quite careful with that black point and I don't think I've clipped it, certainly the points were above 0 in the curves window. I did think it looked perhaps a little too dark though. I will try and get the pane below - I was planning on doing it last night, but couldn't locate a single star in my guide scope (First time that's ever happened) so I need to misalign it a little to find a guide star. I really do appreciate your comments, but don't hang up your hat yet as I often have lucky flukes early on! :smiley:

There are details here that I have not seen before in this object, superb work indeed. I think you have set the black point a little too dark for me but I'm splitting hairs here it is a first class image, I may have to sell a limb or two for a Tak!

Archived