Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC1318 (Butterfly nebula) in mono

swag72

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Adrian. Yes I am pleased with this setup, of that there is no doubt. I can't help thinking though that with my little HEQ5 I should be contemplating needing an upgrade, not hoping that it lasts for ever! While the HEQ5 may be touted as the minimum for AP, it's certainly producing the goods for me.

With images like that, you don't need to bother upgrading. You only need to worry if you have to throw out a lot of subs, if they are spot on and producing good results, there is no reason to upgrade the mount ;). Better yet, make it a dual set-up :D.

Dave, that one is on my to do list. I know it as CTB1. I tried last year with 3600s subs and failed miserably. I am hoping to have a go at this one soon. While the mount is performing, I've no real thoughts to replace it, but it's a bit of a weakling for this AP setup!!

No dual setup Jonathan. Far too stressful!!!

i'll have a look there Francis, thank you.

A dual imaging rig IS more stressful I admit :D So is swapping scopes particularly going from 105mm focal length to 1000mm - it's quite a jump :D

I did try a dual rig (albeit half heartedly) with the 120ED and the Pentax 75SDHF - My mount really wasn't up to it. I stick within it's limitations and it doesn't let me down............. Famous last words!! You watch it really play me up tonight!!

I had a sneak preview of this one but I'm delighted to see it posted in its final form. The mosaic is seamless and the whole image a thriller, nicely composed and bubbling with things to say about this great object. I think that Sadr is rarely, if ever, seen better than this. The half moon of nebulosity to its immediate lower left is certainly better in Sara's image than in mine.

Pity we don't have POW any more but I'm going to nominate this one as my choice.

Olly

Edit. When using this instrument and our Atik 4000s I found more bright star artefacts when using the OSC than the mono. They weren't bad but there would be the odd 'light house beam effect' from the Bayer matrix just as the microlenses on the 11000 seem to throw up in the new rig. Given the brightness of Sadr I think Sara and her setup have it nailed.

That's a fantastic image Sara. The Tak is a great scope, but we all know there is much more to this AP lark than slick equipment alone. Liking the 3nm... On the evidence of this and other images posted using the Astrodon filters I'm tempted to upgrade my Baaders but I use 2" filters currently so I would wonder if I could manage with 1.25" filters or if I'd need the 50mm unmounted filters, a new carousel and a third mortgage...

Did you see the comparison between the Baader and Astrodon that I posted today? Equal subs posted in moonlight. Some variables that I couldn't help changed (ie the moon!) but gives, I think, a good indication of the 3nm quality

Archived