NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any computer experts out there?

I have an sxv-h9 mono camera. It used to work on my previous laptop running xp, but that got pinched. In preparation for the new mount i intend to get in august-ish, I am trying to reinstall it on the new laptop running windows 7.

Now the sx website tries to be quite helpful here. On their faq page [ http://www.sxccd.com/faq ] they have a section that gives step by step instructions, so it should be a cinch ...

'should be' ...

OK, first point, am i logged on as an administrator? Well, I think so. In 'User Accounts and Family Safety | User Accounts' it has 'administrator' next to my name. Just to be sure, I click on one of the options with a shield beside (eg change log in name) and it takes me to the appropriate screen and doesn't try to block me, so I presume so.

1. "Download the driver package required". Under the third section on the 'downloads' link ('Older SXV and SXVF camera software') I click on the first link ('SXV-H9 software') and it gives me a file entitled 'sxvh9usb.zip'. Sounds good.

2. "create folder c:\sxv drivers and unzip the package into it". No problem and this folder now contains two files 'sxv-h9f.exe' and 'sxvh9.hlp'.

3. "Plug the USB cable into your camera (no need for power) and wait for the 'New hardware found' message to appear." This is where things start to go pear-shaped. After 15 minutes I was still waiting for the message to appear, and I'm sure that can't be right. I even try plugging the power cable into the camera just in case. Light comes on on the camera (first time I have found having a light glowing out of an astro-camera to be a benefit!) but still nothing on the computer.

Now, I knew my next move was not going to be helpful, but for some reason I just went ahead and did it anyway. I tried clicking on the sxv-h9f.exe file. Now I get a message telling me that I am missing dll files. Back to the download page and at the bottom of the second section find 'Necessary dll files for sx software'. Now why would I think that would be helpful?? Anyway, this gives me a file called 'bwcc32.zip', which I unzip into c:\sxv drivers, giving me two new files: 'bwcc32.dll' and 'wsc.dll'.

At this point I tried again clicking on 'sxv-h9f.exe'. This time I get the main window that I remember from my previous trials on the old software. Excellent. However, when I click on the camera icon it says "usb sxvio device not found".

Finally, I resort to the old chestnut of rebooting the system. Same result.

So, if there is anyone on sgl, with the post-doctorate degree in advanced-computerology that is obviously required to get hardware to work on windows 7, who can explain to this computer-moron in words of one syllable what it is I have failed to do that I ought to have done or done that I ought not to have done, and can thus enable me to able to actually use the camera for the purpose for which it was purchased, rather than just as a very expensive paperweight, I would be forever in your debt.

Thanks.

Oh, and I nearly forgot. getting completely desparate, I tried clicking on the 'sxvh9.hlp' file. Afterall, I thought, where better to go for help than a 'help file'? Stupid boy! Windows 7 doesn't run this sort of file. Of course it doesn't. Why would it? Aaargghh!

This problem is normally associated with a missing SXVIO.sys file. Check that the following two files are installed in the directories shown and then re-boot and re-connect the SXV-H9:-

c:\Windows\system32\drivers\generic.sys

c:\Windows\system32\drivers\SXVIO.sys

You downloaded the software but did you download and install the drivers?

You could try the latest signed drivers for for 32/64 bit Windows.

You will most likely have USB2 on that lappie so get the latest drivers.

If you have done that ignore.

I'm afraid I don't think I can add anything to that. I've just got a new W 7 64bit laptop working - first time it worked properly was last night. It took a lot of messing about and at one point I was highly inclined to hurl it with all my strength into the middle of the cattle field next door! Now I have been involved with computers both home and business/industrial since before there were home computers but I'm afraid I have met my match when trying to sort out the mess that Microsoft seem to create! :( In many ways win 7 seems better than XP having taken advantage of the Unix/Linux platform for ideas but it still leaves something to be desired. That's my opinion anyway.

The camera drivers are on this page http://www.sxccd.com/drivers-downloads if you haven't downloaded them already.

There are 64bit and 32bit. I think you have just installed the app not the drivers. Looking at the drivers files they are downloaded as a zip fille in which the is a program called Install. I also notice that these include sxvio.sys which steppenwolf refers to.

You downloaded the software but did you download and install the drivers?

You could try the latest signed drivers for for 32/64 bit Windows.

You will most likely have USB2 on that lappie so get the latest drivers.

If you have done that ignore.

That looks likely to be the issue, you have not mentioned the link in part one also shows the driver files which has a lot more files and an install routine. You need the StarlightXpress_CCD_Drivers_v1.2.0.1-1.zip I believe.

Seve

Did you ever get the 'found new hardware message'? If not and you have got all the necessary drivers etc on your machine, then it might be worth going into the Start menu and Control Panel and running the 'find new hardware' wizard.

If it still doesn't find the camera then as someone already said you might have a lead or usb port problem.

A big THANK YOU to all of you for your help. That was it. Now why would I think that 'sxv-h9 software' would include the drivers necessary to get the sxv-h9 to work??

Having downloaded the drivers the program now identifies the camera and takes pictures (well, so far just a 1 sec exposure with the front cover on - looks a lot like my television used to before I got cable!). Curiously, I still don't have a copy of sxvio.sys in the drivers directory. ????. I have found a copy on an old desktop (I tried loading it on that before the laptop when I first got it) and there is still a copy of this file and another one (sxvLoad.sys). This was an XP setup. I am thinking it probably would do no harm copying these files directly into the drivers folder, even if it seems the file is not necessary - or maybe I should just leave well alone.

The other curious thing is that it took a piccie without the power connected. So, why is there a mains adaptor that I used every time I was experimenting with it before?

Just goes to show that in astronomy, as in all of science, every answer is just a container for more questions ...

The other curious thing is that it took a piccie without the power connected. So, why is there a mains adaptor that I used every time I was experimenting with it before?

Just goes to show that in astronomy, as in all of science, every answer is just a container for more questions ...

Not sure about your camera but some draw their power from USB but need extra power for cooling, just a guess. :smiley:

The other curious thing is that it took a piccie without the power connected.

I suspect that this will be a false image with just noise as the download but I do know that the USB side is alive without the external PSU so maybe the whole imaging side is also alive sans the Peltier cooling.

You'll need the power supply DP for the peltier and imaging to work. As Steve says, the image without power is just noise.

This may have changed with the later revisions of the H9, but my SXVF definitely needed some juice

Thanks, guys. I hadn't considered the cooler. I haven't been able to try it on the new lappie in anger yet, due to a good proportion of the atlantic ocean dropping out of the sky over the last few days. However, will do so at the first opportunity.

Albeit just noise, it demonstrates that the laptop and camera are now talking to one another (I think!), which is the first part of the battle won.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, I cannot get the camera driver to update in device manager. 

I browse to the folder and get a message "Windows has determined that your driver is up to date" however I still have the yellow triangle and driver details says "No driver files are require or have been loaded for this device"

Windows 7 pro.

Hi Andyboy

Instead of updating your driver, uninstall the device in Device Manager, then install the correct driver, by pointing at the right driver.

Possibly disconnect from the Internet beforehand, to stop Windows getting in first with it's old driver.

Michael

10 hours ago, andyboy1970 said:

"Windows has determined that your driver is up to date" however I still have the yellow triangle and driver details says "No driver files are require or have been loaded for this device"

Windows 7 pro.

As Michael said above, have you tried right click on the yellow triangle, uninstall, go to Action and click scan for hardware changes, you should be given the option of installing a new driver, all with the camera connected. Windows in it's wisdom will opt for a standard camera driver but should give you the option of pointing to your downloaded driver, have disc or something, good luck (I have just been playing with HP printer drivers in much the same way - half a day!).

Edit, looking at the SX drivers zip download contains a "Install Drivers.exe" which should do it all for you see the read me file.  (My HP printer had a driver install app that was easier to use - only now I have all sorts of other crap to go with it - but herself can now print!)

The tale of woes continues.

The camera was identified when connected to my windows8 pc, and I got the camera working with Neb3 as a capture program.

Identified that it was still on the original firmware so I ran the firmware update as I need it to work on my windows7 laptop.

Now it comes up as Unknown device on both computers!!!!!

Terry Platt from Starlight xpress has emailed me some ideas to try tomorrow.....

Archived