Ahoy there! From Banbury in Oxfordshire

mrianthomas

Hello! I've been stargazing for about three years now, having been given an SkyWatcher starter scope as a bit of a left-field but brilliant birthday gift. My success in spotting PANSTARRS - after three nights of fumbling frustration trying to even locate it - has convinced me I've graduated from a beginner amateur astronomer. I'm about the step up to a SkyWatcher 200p. Anyone else find PANSTARRS incredibly elusive?

I'm lucky to have a back garden with a decent chunk of sky, and not too much light pollution, in a village on the edge of Banbury. But does Banbury have an astro society?

Hi there

you are very lucky with your back garden! My one is like a perfect showroom of the highest light pollution! Terrible!

Thanks for the welcome! I know Sheffield quite well. I'll bet there must be some great stargazing sites as you head out into the Peak District :smiley:

Hello and welcome from me too - also Oxfordshire. I don't know of a Banbury group but there is a group in Chipping Norton www.cnaag.com There's an indoor meeting tomorrow night if you want to come along (8pm the Fox in Chippy, Phil Marshall from the Zooniverse project), and we do lots of local observing and outreach sessions too. It's a very welcoming group - I've learned loads in the 18 months since I joined.

Hi if anyone is interested I am a member of Hanwell Community Observatory - just outside Banbury.

We are not an astronomy club or society - we do public out reach for various groups.

What we do need is volunteer star guides to help out on our public events. You do not need any experience as we will be happy to train people up on the public evenings - including the night sky.

Any one who can help out at least once a month will be able to also use our equipment and we have some interesting equipment including a 30 inch reflector and also 30 inch refractor and lots of other equipment.

If anyone is interested then please message me.

Cheers matt

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum. Don't hesitate on getting an 8" scope as the resolving power (more light gathering = more detail) is great with a scope of this size - you'll notice the difference!

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Hi, I'm from Banbury myself!! Welcome aboard! There's the club in Chipping Norton, they warmly invited me to the events that coincided with the SLG evenings, but since I can't drive I am unable to attend any of them. They seem very friendly, just drop them a msg. Have a good one :D

Archived