Hi, proper newbie here :)

LiamJC

Hi im Liam,

Just starting out in the world of astronomy.

Have recently purchased a second hand scope and hope to get out a bit over the next few months

Currently live in merseyside where light pollution is a bit of an issue but also spend time with family in the peak district where the skies are a lot better (weather permitting of course)

Looking to pick up a couple of beginners books in the next week or so so please feel free to give your recommendations and there seems to be a lot of choice with a lot of mixed reviews.

Thats the basics from me at the moment anyway

Hope everyone is well

Wishing clear skies all round :)

Liam

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Liam and welcome to SGL - there are certainly a good few books out there on the subject. Where fo your interests lie, planets, deep sky objects, visual or photographic?

If it is just general astronomy, then Brian Cox's 'Wonders of the .........' is a good series to get.

Enjoy your new hobby!

Welcome to SGL Liam. I'll put in a punt for the normal recommendation for a book - Turn Left at Orion. I'm also reading 'Astronomy for Dummies' and it gives quite a nice overview of all the major aspects and what your looking at.

Matt.

Hi Liam and welcome to SGL, if you can stretch to a copy of " The Backyard Astronomers Guide " Dickinson and Dyer, it will cover a lot of useful ground for you and comes well recommended on the forum :)

John.

Hi thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just interested in stars a planets and the like at the moment. Like I say I've only just started showing a proper interest so will see how I get on. Looked at getting the backyard astronomers guide and turn left at Orion so I think these 2 will give me plenty to think about and hopefully look at at this early stage.

Thanks again :)

hi there - I'm a newbie too and I bought Astronomy Manual: The Practical Guide to the Night Sky by Jane Green which provides a good introduction to the subject. I'd recommend it.

Welcome Liam.

Another recommendation for 'Turn left at Orion' - I'm a newbie and I gotmyself a copoy recently. It's a great guide to navigating your way around the night sky.

All the best,

Dean

Archived