Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New glass arrived today

bomberbaz

Ok first off big pat on the back to FLO although this is not a supplier review. However they stuck through with me during the deliberation process before I finally opted for these babies. Then the order took less than 24 hours from order to delivery so top marks.

Anyway, I decided to not go for the expensive option EP I had been looking at and for the same price, went and bought myself two EP's and with a few extra quid i threw in a 0-III filter for good measure, as you do :grin:

post-26735-0-20733200-1366110154_thumb.j

Obviously I haven't had chance to use them yet but I shall happily provide the viewing feedback later. Ref the Baader filter, very impressed with the packaging compared to some I have seen.

post-26735-0-26115100-1366110190_thumb.jpost-26735-0-13073200-1366110217_thumb.j

For now without question the Panorama oozes quality, the weight, the glass looks fantastic, the twist up eyecups, even the packaging looks quality. Almost certainly going to need a counterweight on the SCT but other than that, impressed indeed with what I have seen thus far. I read a review on here and some said the EP looked ugly, I can assure you if you got your mitts on one you wouldn't being saying that.

Next first impressions of the WO SWAN, well despite the budget price tag associated with it, it feels anything like a budget piece. Lovely weight, the glass looks good but not sure about the claims it is blackened round the edges. Overall though a very good all round finish and like the WO personalised caps that come with it, nice touch.

post-26735-0-13595000-1366111281_thumb.j

Just had to have a peek through it and felt like i was going to fall through the aperture the views that large, really looking forward to getting some wide-field views with this. Well both actually. The Panorama gives 0.94* and the SWAN, 1.44* so should be a great pair of DSO viewing pieces of glass. I am hoping both will give me that space walk feeling. I remember the first time I looked through a really wide field, low powered EP and feeling slightly overawed by it, memories.

Anyway, for now watch this space.

Steve

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, enjoy. Great feeling that, getting new eyepiece(s). Can never decide if not being able to use them straight away is a good or a bad thing. Yes it builds expectation, and much of this hobby is anticipation/expectation, but it's also sad wrapping them up again in their boxes and putting them away for another time. Pain and pleasure. Not that I like that sort of thing....

Barry

Those wide angle eyepieces certainly give excellent views of nimbostratus and stratocumulus clouds, you can really appreciate the structure involved, and the altocumulus clouds are even better. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Those wide angle eyepieces certainly give excellent views of nimbostratus and stratocumulus clouds, you can really appreciate the structure involved, and the altocumulus clouds are even better. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

hahaha, thanks for that report ronin, I look forward to trying them out tonight :rolleyes:

I have to say they look very nice but I am going to upset you and say I think you should have got the Aero 40mm.

It will be very nice to see what the other eyepiece is it the Panarama or something like that, I believe you are the first on site to get one.

Alan

Hi Steve, great ep's you have there, I have the 23mm Axiom LX which is the same ep and it is very good, I find with these type of ep's you 'must' use the twist-up eyecups, i will be interested in further reports on the performance of both your new ep's and your use of the Baader OIII filter, which I do not have but would like to compare your thoughts with those I do have.

I have to say they look very nice but I am going to upset you and say I think you should have got the Aero 40mm.

It will be very nice to see what the other eyepiece is it the Panarama or something like that, I believe you are the first on site to get one.

Alan

nah not upset Alan, its each to thier own. I thought about the aero but in my SCT I think the performance of the Swan will be at low mag perfectly ok

Yes it is a Panorama 23mn, i will let you know how i get on.

Hi Steve, great ep's you have there, I have the 23mm Axiom LX which is the same ep and it is very good, I find with these type of ep's you 'must' use the twist-up eyecups, i will be interested in further reports on the performance of both your new ep's and your use of the Baader OIII filter, which I do not have but would like to compare your thoughts with those I do have.

I am looking forward to having a go at bagging the owl, rosette and veil nebula using the EP's above and they (emission nebula) are the reason I bought the new filter, hopefully from a good dark site I shall. but yes, i will be happy to let you know how I get on robin.

Had a cracking night. First impressions are the SWAN is a belter for the price, fantastic views and no CA or anything but I didnt get chance to give it a proper workout. Viewing the moon and it fits in superb and for first time I fully resolved the shape using I assume earth shine, background was woinderfully black.

The Panorama was a little dissapointing to a spectacle wearer. It claims that with its 16mm eye relief i think it is suitable for speccies like me. Sorry but I lost over half the TFOV when wearing them and had to take them off. Even then the eyecups had to be almost wound to the bottom. However when they were off I managed to refocus rather well and found the views acceptable. But this was only on clusters and planets because i could get onto any nebulas for various reasons and I really wanted to get onto the Owl to try it out. Only when get it onto objects with more subtle detail can I give a better report, same with the SWAN tbh but initial impressions are the SWAN is great value for money. i shall reserve judgement n the Panorama but i am hopefull its just a teething thing.

However I did get Saturn up to 250* with my Baader EP and FTR and it wasnt too shakey, resolved quite a lot of banding and also picked out 4 of the moons. Got lots of clusters as mentioned and all in was a very productive night. Just wish i could have gotten some wide field views of something with finer detail in it with the 2 new EP's.

I will do a better report once i manage to get some real good objects into view.

Congratulations on the new eyepieces Steve and on getting some sort of first light with them - an achievement itself !

As Robin says, ultra-wide eyepieces can take a little getting used to and their eye relief is tighter than the 70 degree wides generally. Sometimes tighter than claimed in the specs too !

Ultra-wide eyepieces usually have a concave eye lens, sometimes quite deeply concave. As eye relief is measured from the center of the eye lens this can cause the practical eye relief to seem tighter than advertised. Additionally so if the eye lens is also recessed a little as many are.

You will develop a technique of using the Panorama the more you use it and then I'm sure it will be a very rewarding eyepiece to use :smiley:

hmm maybe I am being to hasty but I really did give it a go last night using the moon. Ideal target actually. With the Swan, no worries. Just like it had always been in my collection, the panorama is a totally different think. i understand abuot the make up of these making them more difficult to use but it just doesnt seem to be suitable to my specs.

i shall have a go with some terrestrial viewing and see if that helps me get my head round it. I have 30 days cooling off with FLO if it isnt suitable so best not to rush into things eh. And i really do like it, it looks and feels nice so i will have another bash with it.

Cheers for the advice fellas

Steve

hi Baz, the key will be setting the screw up eye cap to the right level. it might me less or more than you think. start with it fully out (night would be best I feel) and then work your way in gradually to get the right position.

hi Baz, the key will be setting the screw up eye cap to the right level. it might me less or more than you think. start with it fully out (night would be best I feel) and then work your way in gradually to get the right position.

hi baz you need to give your new e.p. time for you to settle into it, i had the same problem.i read lots and lots of reviews about my most prized e.p. my 28mm nirvana and i desperately wanted one, saved up and got it and i was quite disappointed found my aero was more comftable to use and didnt use the uwan much but over time i kept trying it and now i think it is amazing, i think the main problem was trying to get positioned right and setting the eye cup to suit me, and it also helped fitting a counter balance to my sct as most objects were not ctr so this put me of using it as well. good luck with it baz

Archived