Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 - RGB - First Test DSO from MN190

Gina

Far from brilliant but it's something. Last night was the first time I had seen any clear sky virtually since getting my MN190 - certainly since getting it on the mount. Spent yesterday afternoon setting up focussing for main camera (314L+) and OAG guiding with QHY5. Guiding was problematic. I got one quite faint looking star in PHD with 2s integration and calibrated on that but guiding was poor and eratic. I tried taking LRGB subs anyway to see what I might get but the L subs wouldn't stack so this image is based on the RGB subs binned 2x2 as follows :-

R - 3x1m + 6x2m

G - 2x1m + 5x2m

B - 2x1m + 5x2m

Stacked in DSS then aligned in RegiStar and combined and processed in PS. I would have liked to have it better framed but then I would have lost my guide star. Many things need improvement but it's a start :) I'm happy to have got anything :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you say Gina,not your best,but considering the probs you had,and the length of your exposures,a fairly decent result.If you manage to get lengthy RGB images(I know its difficult in the UK)it often can produce a nice image,even without the Luminance.If you have,nt got good colour depth,adding the L can sometimes dilute the colour.

I,m not a Fan of 2x2 binning,but sometimes its the only way.

Mick.

Nice one Gina. The MN190 combined with the Atiik 314 does give a close in FOV. Its going to be "interesting" to keep the tracking in order but will give cracking images.

Thanks for sharing your images

Cheers John

You'll have a whale of a time with that scope Gina, I know I did :) . The focal length is perhaps one of the most useful there is, and paired with your 314 you will be surprised by the sharpness and flatness of the images produced.

It takes a bit of time to get used to the bigger tube, but it should become a mainstay in your obsy I should think.

I know how difficult it is with a 314 and narrow field, if you nudge the mount to find a good guide star you can easily un frame the target.. this more so with Off Axis Guiding..

I would try at least 3 - 3.5 seconds in PHD for the OAG, guiding at 800mm :D

I know how difficult it is with a 314 and narrow field, if you nudge the mount to find a good guide star you can easily un frame the target.. this more so with Off Axis Guiding..

I would try at least 3 - 3.5 seconds in PHD for the OAG, guiding at 800mm :D

Thank you for your advice :) Next time I/we see the stars I'll have another go and try that. FL is actually 1000mm so a very narrow view for the QHY5 guide camera. I may need to invest in a Lodestar - have to see.

Hi Gina - I can only agree with what Tim has said about the MN190 - It's a superb scope... although of course I'm seriously biased :grin: - This is a good result for a first light...!

I'll be very interested in following your exploits with the OAG as it's now very nearly risen to the top of my list, although I suspect that by the time I pull the trigger galaxy season will be over! I agree with Guy about lengthening your guide exposures though - I personally use 3s (but wouldn't have any issue moving to 4s) and of course that would then make more guide stars available to you, which might mean you don't need to reframe to fine one(?) :smiley:

The MN190 gives a lovely resolution with the 314L+ - Although I'll admit I don't normally bin if I can help it, if you do go 2x2 you get 2.64 arcseconds/pixel which is still more or less below the limit or normal "seeing" in the UK, so you can get away with it... I've only tried it twice in 3 years, and it did save a LOT of time!

Hi Gina - I can only agree with what Tim has said about the MN190 - It's a superb scope... although of course I'm seriously biased :grin: - This is a good result for a first light...!

I'll be very interested in following your exploits with the OAG as it's now very nearly risen to the top of my list, although I suspect that by the time I pull the trigger galaxy season will be over! I agree with Guy about lengthening your guide exposures though - I personally use 3s (but wouldn't have any issue moving to 4s) and of course that would then make more guide stars available to you, which might mean you don't need to reframe to fine one(?) :smiley:

The MN190 gives a lovely resolution with the 314L+ - Although I'll admit I don't normally bin if I can help it, if you do go 2x2 you get 2.64 arcseconds/pixel which is still more or less below the limit or normal "seeing" in the UK, so you can get away with it... I've only tried it twice in 3 years, and it did save a LOT of time!

Thank you Andy :) Oh yes, I think it's going to be good - I'm really looking forward to getting it all going properly :) The end of the week looks promising weatherwise. Keeping fingers crossed! So far we have been forecast some clear night skies a few days ahead but by the time comes it's changed to cloudy :( This has happened so often recently that I've lost count!!

Thank you Jake :) Yes, It's sort of up and running - some improvements to be made :D Now have a dew shield and replacement bearing for the focuser - one of the bearings had seized up.

Gina .... Stay at 1x1. The 285 chip (same as in my IMG2Pro) and the MN190 will give great results and remember that you can't add resolution - you can only reduce it.

With regards to the Lodestar on an OAG (which I use) I can use 1 second exposures and never have a problem finding a guide star. I have found that if I need to go longer to find a star then the seeing is probably pretty poor anyway.

With regard to M51 then have a look at http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/181939-m51-the-whirlpool-final/ Same scope, same chip. 8-))))))

You're going to love it.

Great Start Gina, with a excellent camera scope combination

once you have got used to the extra FL and little challenges it brings

there will be some nice pics to be put on display im sure,

once the damn clouds and winds go away.

Good luck

Paul

Gina .... Stay at 1x1. The 285 chip (same as in my IMG2Pro) and the MN190 will give great results and remember that you can't add resolution - you can only reduce it.

With regards to the Lodestar on an OAG (which I use) I can use 1 second exposures and never have a problem finding a guide star. I have found that if I need to go longer to find a star then the seeing is probably pretty poor anyway.

With regard to M51 then have a look at http://stargazerslou...hirlpool-final/ Same scope, same chip. 8-))))))

You're going to love it.

Thanks for the advice Mick :) Your M51 is great :) I'm thinking about buying a Lodestar.

Great Start Gina, with a excellent camera scope combination

once you have got used to the extra FL and little challenges it brings

there will be some nice pics to be put on display im sure,

once the damn clouds and winds go away.

Good luck

Paul

Thank you Paul :) I'm looking forward to some clear night skies so much! Had a few seconds of clear sky every now and then last night but gave up in frustration!

Archived