hello from portsmouth

fluffy

Hello... Where to start.

Been interested in astronomy for a few years. Bought a Tal 1 back in the mid 90's and enjoyed using it for a while. Will always remember the first time I sa Jupiter and Saturn through it.

First attempt at astrophotography came in 97 with hale-bopp, and managed a few photos together with hyakatake and a lunar eclipse, results were ok, not brilliant, but I was very happy with the results...

Skip forward to February this year, and I purchased a canon 600d, a d whilst reading about a close encounter with an asteroid I decided to see if I could capture it with my camera on a tripod... Failed miserably, but the astronomy bug was back.

Since then I've bee. Out when I can trying to take images of the night sky. Managed a few shots of m31, m42 and pannstars (widefield) and quickly realised the limitations with the equipment I was using.

So last week I spent some money... HEQ5 syntrek and Explorer 150P-DS with a few other bits and bobs.

Now I just need some clear skies to try it all out. (yep my fault it's been cloudy this week)

Terry

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Terry,

Welcome back to the fold and to SGL - do me a favour and ask all your mates to turn off their lights over on your side of the water ;)

Seriously though the 150PDS/HEQ5 combination is a great setup and coupled with the 600D should be able to give you some great images - best of luck with this rig and look forward to seeing some posted images in the not too distant.

Clear skies - Jake

Hi Terry and welcome to SGL. I was originally also from Portsmouth but that was a few years ago. Don't blame yourself for the weather, with the exception of a couple of reasonably clear nights last week, we have had continuous clouds for months now. Good luck with the astrophotography.

Phil

Many thanks for the welcome. Tonight saw first light with the scope. Only an hour or so, mainly to get used to it, polar align it, and align the finderscope. Did manage a few 30 sec exposures, managed m42, result of which I'm really pleased with. Got a few things to iron out... Like finding objects. Eating for Sadie to be delivered which will sort that out. Also need to test out guiding, that will take place next clear night.

Terry

Archived