New Member, Norfolk.

Philbomoog

I recently took the plunge and after many hours of internet searches I finally bought a 200p with an EQ5 mount. I got the thing home and couldn't beleive how big this thing really was when set up.

After a couple of days pondering what i'd let myself in for I finally decided to take it back. I really couldn't see my self being able to move it around and wisdom suggests that the best scope is one that you'll actually be able to use.

I'm now researching on the internet again and am currently contemplating a Nexstar 127SLT. I think that would be more manageable.

Watch this space for further updates.

:)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL

The 127 is certainly a nice little scope. There's no denying that the 200P on an EQ5 is fairly large. Have you considered the same tube on a dobsonian mount, or is even the 200P tube just too big?

James

Hi welcome to SGL....Know what you mean my first scope was a 200p on a EQ5, found it's overall size made it too awkward for me to use with a dodgy back, luckily due to a fault it was returned, gave me a chance to rethink, liking the aperture I ended up with 200p Dob, suppose it's just as big but more comfortable to use as I can view for longer seated.

Hello and welcome.

As someone has already mentioned, what about

the 200p dob. Easy to store, confortable viewing,

An able bodied person can carry it short distances

as a whole set up.

I used to have a 150mm f8 1200 refractor on an eq5 mount.

The dob is so much more manageable, in every way.

Paul

Hello and welcome to SGL. Perhaps a small retractor on a good mount might suit you better. Depends what you want to look at really if you are into planets then you need some aperture and a longish focal length to get a decent size image for a given eyepiece so a reflector or Mak would be good. If you are after Deep Sky Objects which can be quite large then a refractor of 100mm - 120mm might suit. Good luck in your search!

Hi and welcome to the lounge, like you I have been researching which scope to choose, it's a hard decision

to make, the 8" Dob is always the one I come back to, it all depends what you wan't from it, I just like to

observe, so the Dob seems the best set up for me, it's quick to set up, and easy to store, but that's my humble

opinion, I will be ordering mine from FLO in the next couple of weeks, If the cloud ever goes away, whatever you

choose It's what enjoyment you get out of it that counts.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Archived