Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from south of France !

DanH

Hi all,

I usually say "Hello from the sunny south..." but we have some very bad weather for now ...

It is not too difficult to live with, as I'm expecting a brand new 10Micron GM1000 HPS end of this month. I prefer to face the bad weather conditions before I get the mount. Will I, for once, break Murphy's law ? ;)

Well, in a few words, I have been dreaming about astronomy since I was a teenager (I'm sixty now) and only jumped in a couple of years ago.

I started with a Meade 127 APO and a CGEM mount, which is quite reasonable equipment to start with.

I hooked up my Canon DSLR, and was impressed by the quality of pictures I could obtain. Si I purchased a Starlight Xpress SXVRH18 with filterwheel and LRGBHaOIISIII filters to have a better QE.

I only had a chance to use the LRGB filters for now...Ha, OII and SIII will be used with the next mount as they will require much longer exposure time.

I didn't succeed with exposures longer than 8-10 minutes with the CGEM. Even with lodestar and OAG.

I'm reading and learning a lot about astronomy and astrophotography, in french or english. I have to confess that the most interesting litterature is written in Shakespeare's language. That helps me to brush up the language as well ;)

Glad to have joined your board ! I hope my english writing won't scratch your eyes.

Dan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum and congratulations on ordering your new mount. I would be interested to read a review of your experiences with it if you have any spare time. :smiley:

Clear skies soon!

James

Thanks to all for your warm welcome messages.

@Alan : Yes, it's the Meade I'm imagining with. It gives pretty sharp images, but the CGEM prevented me to have long exposures (longer than 8-10 minutes)

So I was a bit disappointed by the mount.

With the GM1000, I should be able to eventually use the Baader Flatfield Fluorite Converter which is one of the quite expensive addons I purchased last year. It's wonderful and very sharp, the sharpest "barlow" I ever used. But for photographic use, I definitely needed a much better mount.

Still 3 weeks to go ! ;)

Dan

Archived