Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello (again) especially to Hereford and Worcester folk!

Miranda

Hi,

People may notice that I have been a member for a while, but as I havent been on the forums here for a long time, and I've moved, I felt like I should say hello again and introduce myself to you all.

I currently live in Herefordshire, and due to working shifts, have unfortunately found it difficult to get to the local AS meetings, but I am contacting the Worcester AS to see if I can pop along to some of their meetings instead.

I am a keen beginner and love to be out looking at the stars with my binos, but due to relocating to this neck of the woods I am not familiar with good spots to go to for dark skies.

If someone is willing to have a star-gazing buddy, or willing to point me to some good (and safe) dark sky spots locally that would be brilliant!

Please say HI if you are local, Id love to meet up and talk astronomy with people. I will admit I am not the brightest star when it comes to the science-stuff but I do try to learn.

Thank you for your time,

Miranda

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks James :)

well, funnily enough, Im going to pop in to the local AS meeting on Thursday (before my night shift!) so that'll be really good and also theres the Worcester society which isnt that far from me, so I'm sure between the 2 of them I'll make an astro buddy or two!

Hi Miranda,

Welcome back, we are in Monmouth so not far away, although I dont yet have the confidence to go along to any meets.

We are lucky to have our own little dark sky site, with only a little bit of light polution from the south over monmouth, your more than welcome to park up and set up in one of the fields :)

cotterless45 - I will have to investigate! I think Im working during the day but should be able to spend some evening time there. Investigations shall happen!

And thank you everyone else for your hellos :D

Tonight, after doing some research into a darkspot (the some interesting light pollution maps, which I had never even knew existed until tonight) I drove out to see if I can find a good location. Only as I'm driving the 10 mins away from home I can notice less stars and more and more fog.

Then, after 20 mins of thinking I'm looking into Spica and around the Virgo stars and the objects around there, the sky turns almost completely into cloud and mist. When I double check what I thought I found on some astro app on my iphone, I think perhaps I was looking at something completely different. Whatever it was, it was pretty - but flipping annoying when you think its one thing and its not.

Meh - you win some and some you wish you stayed at home for lol.

Archived