Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

object in the sky which is very strange

dave james

Hi everybody

I am a new member and would appreciate your advices on the following item.

I live in the SW OF FRANCE.the Sky is very clear at this time.

the object i am referring to has to have a size reference which is as follows.

If a star is 1 mm in observation the item i am referring to is approximatly 12mm in the sky.

From my observation point which is 5 Mls south

of Bergerac ,looking directly above me from this point i see a misty object ,it has no defined edges as per the stars surrounding it,and is like a cloud with a light behind it.

my apologies for the very basic detail i have given as i do not know the various heavenly bodies which would give you a clue to the position in the sky,my observations are made thru binoculars,All the best and wait with anticipation for you help Dave

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:Hi There

Thank you to all of the members who replied to my strange request,i am sure you are correct ,the comet seems to be a bit larger,does any member know how far away this is,also thank you for your kind welcome to SGL

All the best Dave

Welcome to SGL.

I beleive that Comet Holmes is currently between the orbits of Jupiter and Mars (heading out).

It is now bigger than Jupiter - last thing I read said that it was about 120,000 miles across.

Ant

• 5 years later...

Hi Dave welcome. I to am a new member to the forum. You are very lucky to be observing as we in Lincolnshire have had cloudy sky. I am hoping to get my telescope out soon

Happy observing paul

I wish I'd read that at this time yesterday, that would certainly have been on my to-do list. I expect the current clouds to last long enough here in the eastern UK that observing will be off the cards for a bit.

Presumably the comet remnants will be long gone in that time frame

I wish I'd read that at this time yesterday, that would certainly have been on my to-do list. I expect the current clouds to last long enough here in the eastern UK that observing will be off the cards for a bit.

Presumably the comet remnants will be long gone in that time frame

The original post was made in Nov 2007. I would suspect the comet has now long gone.

Archived