SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hutech Japanese-made Orthoscopic Eyepieces

FLO

That's good news about these fine eyepieces.

In case anyone doesn't know, it appears that FLO have a few of the 6mm BGO's left, I just ordered one from the website a couple of days ago at £77 delivered, and have had a mail saying it's been dispatched, might come today..

I also picked up a nice Kasai 5mm ortho on the bay recently, and it's great to hear that their quality sounds to be up there with BGO and Circle T Orthos..the 5mm will be my highes power ep so will join my 6mm and 9mm Circle T's and the incoming BGO 6mm which I'm looking forward to comparing directly to my Circle T 6mm..

I do think that some of the BGO used prices we've seen recently leave a bit of a bad taste in the mouth..I'm all for people making a few bob now and then to help them upgrade (have done it/do it myself), but almost doubling the new cost price seems pretty cynical to me.

Looking forward to reading John's (or Shaun's! :grin: :grin: ) reviews of these. I must say that John's great review of the BCO's and their somewhat cheap construction feel didn't surprise me..although Optics are the most important thing, there is something in the "feel" of a decent, weighty ep, as Stu says..

Dave

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oops! I got the brand and ETA wrong :blush:

These Japanese-made orthoscopic eyepieces are available from Hutech. They have only just been dispatched so might require 3-4 weeks before they are here on our shelves. We received a number of orders last night, I shall contact everyone today to explain the mistake.

Apologies to you and to the people at Hutech for the confusion.

Steve

I dont mind waiting Steve

It would be great to be able to try them out at SGL8. What pitch number should I look out for?

I'll be on hardstanding pitch 115 in my caravan - look forward to meeting you :smiley:

FLO will be in the adjacent field I believe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Be very interesting to read, hope you got more than i full set arriving :grin:

John will you post here when you put the review....... I guess in the EP forum, just incase I should miss it....?

......John will you post here when you put the review....... I guess in the EP forum, just incase I should miss it....?

Happy to do that :smiley:

Fingers crossed that they might be with us soon, from the latest new that FLO has posted above :smiley:

Looking good. Will back orders ship out today (he asks keenly :-) )

Yes, all backorders will be processed and dispatched today. Your has already left :smiley:

also looking at these orthos on your site, they look different to the original ones, i.e. no green ?

Well spotted :smiley:

The photo at the beginning of this thread is a pre-production stock photo because the final livery had not been decided.

Here are two pix showing the current up-to-date livery.

hutech_orthoscopic_side_2.JPGhutech_orthoscopic_side_2[1].JPG

I think they missed a trick with these if they're similar to the BGOs. The one thing I don't like about the BGOs is that they're surprisingly heavy for their size yet they're very smooth-sided. It's very easy to have one slip in your fingers, especially once the cold is getting to you a little. Some sort of undercut or knurling around the upper half of the barrel would be really useful.

James

I think they missed a trick with these if they're similar to the BGOs. The one thing I don't like about the BGOs is that they're surprisingly heavy for their size yet they're very smooth-sided. It's very easy to have one slip in your fingers, especially once the cold is getting to you a little. Some sort of undercut or knurling around the upper half of the barrel would be really useful.

We were actually pleased to find they had the same weight and smooth nosepiece as the Baader Genuine orthoscopic. I am not a fan of milled safety undercuts on eyepieces because most focusers have compression-ring fittings. For imaging equipment and large/expensive eyepieces I can see the attraction of a milled safety undercut. If they had asked me I would have voted for a tapered nosepiece because it provides the same security but doesn't 'catch' on the compression ring :smiley:

Sounds like an opportunity for some enterprising company to build after market tapered nosepieces for EPs. Most 1.25" EPs have empty nosepieces so they would just have to screw on to the main EP body. Assuming most EP bodies use the same screwthread (no idea myself)

If it worked out I'd be happy to pay a fiver or so each for those.

Anyone know an engineering company that might be interested in doing that?

Ah, perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. By "upper half of the barrel" I meant the black bit that you'd hold to insert or remove the eyepiece. I'm quite happy not to have an undercut in the chrome part (though a taper would work nicely, granted). If you look at the 5mm BGO say, there's only 10mm, perhaps 12mm sticking out of the eyepiece holder when it's in place and it's very smooth. I'd love to have some sort of ridged or knurled grip there to give a bit more purchase when inserting and removing the eyepiece.

James

Sounds like an opportunity for some enterprising company to build after market tapered nosepieces for EPs...

That's not a bad idea :smiley:

I'll mention it to John, the chap who makes some of our adapters.

Archived