Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hutech Japanese-made Orthoscopic Eyepieces

FLO

I'd love to have some sort of ridged or knurled grip there to give a bit more purchase when inserting and removing the eyepiece.

It is generally a feature found only on larger eyepieces, but I see what you mean :smiley:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to trying these and the prospect of a 4mm and a 25mm is exciting although the eye relief of the former could prove challenging !

I have seen folks put rubber rings around smooth eyepieces to act as grips - something like a section from an old cycle tyre inner tube !.

In the past some brands of orthos have included an optional push on rubber eye cup - do the Hutech's come with these ?. As well as shielding the light, they give some grip too.

Yes, I guess it's the combination of the very smooth sides and the lack of an eyecup that's the problem. The only eyepieces (other than the BGOs) that I have without any grip on the sides at least have an eyecup, so there's less chance of them slipping through cold fingers. In a way I'm far less worried about dropping my Naglers and Panoptics (which do have a grip) because they're so big to start with that it's easy to get hold of them.

James

In the past some brands of orthos have included an optional push on rubber eye cup - do the Hutech's come with these ?. As well as shielding the light, they give some grip too.

That would be good. I'll ask them :smiley:

I will await John's thoughts on them before I decide whether I want to try them. I'm not even sure Orthos are for me, but they could certainly be worth a try if they're better than the BGOs/BCOs :).

They've arrived :-)

Beautifully packaged, I must say. Somebody took pride in taping up the box :-)

Ep's look very nice. Different look to the BGOs and the labelling is not etched but same feeling of weight and quality to them. Will have a quick look to compare the coatings with my BGO's and hopefully give them a try out very soon.

Cheers,

Stu

Strictly speaking the word 'orthoscopic' means to produce an image with correct and normal proportions. Back in the 1880's Ernst Abbe was asked by Zeiss to design an eyepiece for microscopy that would provide maximum brightness and not distort the view so accurate, reliable measurements could be made of a specimen. He designed the Abbe orthoscopic eyepiece. These Japanese-made Astro Hutech Orthoscopics are faithful to the original Abbe design but utilize modern glass, manufacturing techniques and lens coatings to offer very high light transmission, excellent contrast and images virtually free of aberrations.

Today's more exotic eyepiece designs with extended eye-relief and uber-wide field of views offer more comfort and convenience but I doubt any will match a well-made orthoscopic for absolute brightness and clarity.

HTH,

Steve

Beautifully packaged, I must say. Somebody took pride in taping up the box :-)

I just popped downstairs to tell Megan. Megan And Nettie were dispatching orders yesterday. She beamed, then after a long pause said....... What are orthoscopics..... ?

Megan's our newest member of staff :grin:

I just popped downstairs to tell Megan. Megan And Nettie were dispatching orders yesterday. She beamed, then after a long pause said....... What are orthoscopics..... ?

Megan's our newest member of staff :grin:

Direct her to this post as a training exercise then Steve ;):icon_salut:

Of course, if she was joking...

Of course, if she was joking...

No, she really didn't know. Megan is our newest employee and our youngest. She joined us about six months ago. Megan isn't an astronomer but then neither are Lisa or Nettie who also work in order processing/dispatch. All three have that incredible ability women possess, they just know where everything is. It really is quite remarkable. When I get involved I can't find a thing so I normally stay out of their way. It was fun watching Megan puzzling over a returned Rigel Quikfinder, peering into it from every angle, wondering what it did. Then Martin takes it from her and shuts himself in the loo with the light off to test it. Her face was a picture!

It's all good fun :icon_jokercolor:

My review set of Hutech orthos arrived today - thanks FLO :smiley:

I'll be comparing them with some Baader Genuine and Classic orthos and I'll report on the forum once I have something to say about them.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived