Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

abandoned observatory

Seafury

This one is a few miles from home. It used to annoy me that it was unused even before I got interested in astronomy. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bidston_Hill_Observatory_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1405200.jpg its quite a historic observatory and although it is now a victim of modern lp, I'd have thought it could be still used for some form of astronomical pursuit , even if only as a museum say.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Some more info found on the website Seafury posted...

"Around 1999 a group of amateur astronomers and volunteers set about building a small observatory complex. All the work was undertaken by members and supporters on a voluntary basis with the hope that all materials would be be donated. The site was cleared and construction started. A series of applications for grants were turned down because the project did not create many jobs and did not bring a sustainable economic input to the area. Although it received charitable status in 2000, the project remained desperately short of cash with an estimated £250,000 shortfall preventing the construction of a third dome and lecture rooms. From the look of the site and the fact that there has been very little construction in recent years, it is probably the case that the group was unable to secure any more cash. Predictably vandals have targeted the site and damaged the portable toilet, domes, caravan and hut. There is an out of date website related to the project which would also seem to indicate that the wheels have come off the venture."

Hi yes its such a shame so close to me as well I will localy if anyone knows of any plans to finish it although it looks as though they would have to start again, I can't believe I'd never heard of it until the other day

Although on a completely different scale it kind of reminds me of the dome at herstmonceux that used to house the issac Newton telescope which now sits empty and unused poking above the trees all alone separated from the main complex, a bit sad really.

Although on a completely different scale it kind of reminds me of the dome at herstmonceux that used to house the issac Newton telescope which now sits empty and unused poking above the trees all alone separated from the main complex, a bit sad really.

It is amazing to think that Herstmonceux was once the home of British astronomy and that the site was considered to be dark enough for that purpose. Although compared to our back gardens it still is a pretty good site - unless you are lucky enough to live in the wilds of deepest, darkest UK :smiley:. Used to spemd many happy hours there 40 years ago when it was still a bustling hub of activity.. :smiley:

Hi yes its such a shame so close to me as well I will localy if anyone knows of any plans to finish it although it looks as though they would have to start again, I can't believe I'd never heard of it until the other day

Is there a local astronomical soc or club that can help?

Seeing these sad legacies makes me wonder how we have managed to make a success of the Astronomy Centre being as it was founded on a similar basis of volunteer effort and no official external funding. Finance comes from annual membership and donations from visiting public which is just sufficient to cover running costs. Although we don't have the skies that Cornwall usually enjoys, we are easily accessible and close to several large conurbations. :smiley:

Just an update on what happened to the observatory. Just had this from a firend in the know

The Observatories ar Wheal Busy is an interesting one. The guy fronting is was called Murty Malla. He was part of an Astronomy club that used to meet at Truro Golf club. The Observatory for Cornwall planned to raise shedloads of funding for the two domes and a permanent staff member doing outreach etc. However, even with Tim Rice as patron, they were never able to raise all the cash needed. I think there were ructions within the club as well and everything ground to a halt for years. I'm surprised the Domes were ever completed, as during construction, the work sheds were vandalised a few times and lots of gear stolen. Presumably the domes are empty as I've not heard of anything going on up there for years.

Maybe they tried to expand too fast, getting 1/4 million funding would never be easy. The Lottery awards for all system seems to be up to £5000, that's enough to buy a decent scope and pier, if a local organisation could provide the manpower that could get one of the domes in use. Then a few years later try to get some more to get another one going. This is assuming the cost of the site is low.

My Astro society has managed to get a couple of grants from them, one to buy a scope, another to replace the roof and dome. The result is that we have a nice little observatory.

Chris

Judging from what others have said (together with my knowledge of the area) the main problem seems to be that the locals are feral (yes, there are still places and people like that) and have used the site as a way to supplement their income/fun by means of selling/trashing whatever they can get their hands on and that is the really sad thing in this day and age.

Thanks for posting, I love Urbex, although it is a shame to see such a site in dis-repair. I had a read of the information the OP made, and it does sound like funding could not be secured, and this lead to the unfinished project. It was started in 1999, the domes dont look too bad for that age. But like everything that is left and abandoned vandilism isnt far behind. A real shame, but get photos/report.

Archived