New Guy!

Swedeman2013

Hi Folks,

New to the hobby and have no experience with my new telescope because here in Quebec it has been cloudy since I picked up the scope, go figure ! Outside of the moon, I need help where to start exploring, any advice would help. My son's IPhone has the sky map loaded if that helps.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi mate welcome to the forum, stellarium is a free download which will get u up and running. What scope u got? Don't be afraid to ask any questions here as there are plenty of people always willing to help out, kev

After a bunch of research and a limited budget I went cheap and bought a Skyscanner (reflector) by Orion which should let me get going though I know I'll end up with an 8" Skyquest later. So far I locked in the red-dot finder scope and looked at upside down houses! CAN'T WAIT to at least check out the damn MOON!! Thanks folks this site looks great!

Hi Swedeman and welcome to SGL, as you are new to the hobby if you can get hold of a copy of the book "Turn Left at Orion" that will help you obtain a better understanding of the night sky and give you plenty of subjects to observe with your scope, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Hi swedeman and welcome.

Many years ago (mid 1980's) I went white water rafting on the Ottowa river and the memory of those night skies will stay with me forever. You are a lucky man. :)

edit: an astro magazine such as sky and scope have monthly targets. also an interesting read.

Hi and welcome, is the app on you phone Skymap if it is give it a good few seconds and a few shakes before believing where it points, I found it took a while to find the GPS and compass correctly, after the initial messing it performs great I found a lot using it, but remember to switch to red though as it can be bright!

good luck and clear skies

Archived