Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

had enough m51 fighting a losing battle

Daniel-K

had enough of m51 now nothing is going right , all subs was taken when the moon was @ 50% or more and the conditions were 6/10. i just cant get rid of the noise, heres a link to some tiffs if any one wants ago https://www.dropbox....ubc5/7rSjBur8XS

details:

5.5 hours

300 sec subs and some 180 secsubs

ISO800

canon450 unmodded

darks and dodgy flats

stacked in DSS

Processed in CS6

dan

post-6284-0-26114200-1361478597_thumb.pn

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan don't be so hard on yourself I thought the first process looked really good for the image scale which is bound to exagorate things if the focus is slightly out, also the seeing was bad and the Moon was out so its a very good image considering! Marks reprocess seems to have sharpened things up a bit, it looks great!

Don't make me show you my complete failure I had on M51 last week where my secondary dewed up after 7 minutes of data then I realised that my spare non modded 350D which I was using has more hot pixels than you can shake a stick at!:D

Since you posted your tiffs I hope you don't mind me having a play, I'm not an expert but I had a quick diddle in Pixinsight using dynamic background extraction, histogram and noise reduction

Wow! you extracted some depth with that extra processing! I like the deep galaxy top left. :cool:

I have high expectations from my kit, from the stack it looks like I have field rotation so it looks like im going to have to PA the mount on the pier

Its not been done since October and I have knocked it a few times in the dark, I would have thought 7 hours would have better SNR Than this. Not using a mask just FWHM in BYE I might restack withiut the x2 drizzle maybe take bias frames see if that helps

I have high expectations from my kit........

Me too but I think billions of stars 31 million light years away is pretty good and it looks like the background galaxy is twice as far away! Have you thought about cooling the 450? I am trying to work up the courage to butcher my 1000D for some sensor cooling.

The picture is in there somewhere! Mark's was good. Cloudwatcher got the colour right, Billhinge got a flatter background (use SCNR Green on it as well in Pixinsight, BTW.)

Shooting braodband in moonlight is doomed to partial success at best. You just will get noise and there's nothing you can do about it.

I think you've done well.

Olly

moon light will always make this a challenge, you have still super shot there, its easy to forget how difficult this imaging game is with so many things to think about. I don't think you have lost any battle

spot on! so many great images around on here, i think it lull's us mortals into thinking its easy.

thanks all for the advice, i need to learn more on processing i think and next time maybe image at iso 400 wen the moon is up. ah well not all is lost at least i came out with an image.may try again on a moonless night.

i agree you should still stick with it, to be honest i think galaxy's are always harder to process in my opinion maybe that might just be me. i spent days trying to process m31 but finally got there.

5173896271_419064e2df_z.jpg

but my very first image was m51 as you can see not very good at all

4612851146_16478c5124_b.jpg

Archived