Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How many!

nederman63

Telescopes do you seasoned professionals have? From reading posts on here it seems quite a few of you own more than one. Do you have different scopes for different purposes or you dont like to part with scopes you buy, or is it like a obsession in this hobby to have multiple scopes.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not one of them (I have none). I think that some upgrade and keep their old scope, some buy a scope for a purpose, astrophoto for example, it may be good to have one portable that only weights about 20kg while the astrophoto setup might weight 35kg.

I'm certainly not a season professional, but I currently have:

C8 SCT

Skymax 102 MAK

INED 70 APO refractor

SW130P Newtonian

Celestron Travel scope 70

Mainly use the C8 and INED 70 together on Minitower II.

The others will be up for sale soon!

Paul

I have 3 with a 4th about to arrive. My largest is an 11" Fork Mounted SCT. The scope to be delivered is a 7" Triplet Apo which over time will become the primary astrophotography scope (though for the time being it will become my primary Visual use scope), and two 4" class triplet Apo refractors. Here lies my duplication.

The APM 105 F/6.2 is the newest of the two, and is small enough to be airline portable carry-on size, so is my designated travel scope. The older TMB 115 F/7 is a bit larger so not airline portable, and though gathers a bit more light than the 105, it does not really offer anything more than the 105. If it were not for the fact that Thomas Back of TMB sadly passed away in 2007, I would probably sell it, but now I almost look it like a collectors item.

Eight scopes- but spread over two sites. Each one has it's own function in terms of focal length, F ratio & field of view.

1x 80mm refractor guide scope

2x 80mm ED refractor imager/guiders

1x 120mm ED refractor imager

1x 200mm F8 reflector (visual/planetary imager)

1x 200mm F4/F2.9 reflector imager

1x 300mm F4/F2.9 reflector imager

1x 150mm F4.5 refractor visual

If I had to keep just one scope it would be the 120mm ED as a good 'all rounder', maybe the 300mm F4 as well........

Let me see:

90/900 Skywatcher refractor on an EQ3-2, 130/900 Skywatcher Newt on an EQ3 Pro Synscan, Astromaster 76 :embarrassed: with associated garbage and a Celestron 70 Travelscope with its flimsy excuse for a tripod. Planning on donating the Astromaster to the local charity shop and the 90 'frac will be going up for sale, but with the EQ2 mount it came with, as soon as I decide what scope I'm upgrading to. Toss up between a 150P Newt or a 200P Newt.

Archived