Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

5th galloway starcamp

dweebostar

Morning all,well last night was a game of two halves,early on it was clear although the seeing was not great,come 10.30 the weather  changed to rain! :eek:  just surfaced and its raining,the field is draining well.

A large number of the attendees got here teatime yesterday and quickly got themselves settled in.

Hopefully the weather will get its act together.

Safe journey to all,

Regards

Mike.

PS David no the internet con is still frustrating me.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mike,

I find that there is sunshine in Scotland a strange concept!!

We have proper grey skies here, so Reg was wise to escape to the wilderness of Galloway.

We had clear skies for a while last night, but it rained through the night.

Trust you have thawed Reg out and fed him a full English breakfast, he is famous in DAG for second and third helpings,

so keep him well fed.

Cheers

Adrian

Both myself and Kieran will be there for the first time and looking forward to meeting everyone.

If there's a chippy run in the making we'd like to be counted in for that and fingers crossed for clear dark skies

Good idea - count me in for a massive fish supper, or perhaps haggis supper   : )

Tom

Morning All,not to cold a morning,gusting breeze,dry underfoot,and overcast,not to bad considering,frustrating sky last night,clear one second,patchy cloud the next,breakfast awaits,

Safe journey to all travelling today,

Mike

Dont plan on sleeping much tonight, the local forcast is for clear skies from midnight till dawn

Hope you all get some good observing - was booked to come, but came down with an illness a couple of weeks back which hasn't cleared up so decided to scrub at the weekend.

Hopefully will make it sometime in 2014...

Clear skies,

Callum

Mike / Reg,

Very cloudy here... Three objects visible through the clouds, Jupiter , Pollux, and Vega.

Great to hear that a good crowd has arrived at the star party.

Stephanie should be able to bake the Guinness bread, if she has had time to practice.

All the best and trust that you have clear nights.

Cheers

Adrian

Just back after two nights at Galloway Star camp.  A good crowd as ever, with clear skies on Thursday night (a bit murky last night, but still got some nice double stars and DSO's).  Superb transit of Jupiter (Ganymede) about 1am on Friday morning. Observed through a 14" Flextube GOTO, and compared a 7mm Genuine Baader Ortho (prety good), 7mm Nagler (a bit more definition and colour) and a 7mm Pentax (more colour and slightly more detail again).  Dave, John, Steve and I all enjoyed the little experiment, but were dismayed that we might now have to buy a 7mm Pentax!   Saw comet Lovejoy (but too sleepy at 5am to catch ISON).

I left at lunchtime today, as the BBC news suggested poor weather tonight, but from what I see of the sky from Glasgow, I may have made a mistake.

I hope you all get a great night's observing.

David, Pete and Martin - I packed my Highland park away, just in case it evaporated tonight  : ))

Tom

Hi all

Past three night shifts kicked in so I'm wide awake at 4am !!

Great three days at the Star Camp ( and three clear nights to go with it)

I was in the "control centre" tent as most people referred to it :smiley: with Tom who I think manged to image the entire messier catalogue !!!!

Was good to put a few faces to names on here.

Look forward to doing it all again next year.

Cheers

Neil

Great three nights (Thu-Sun) with sat night for 4 hours being superb, myself and kieran look forward to the journey up again to take in the splendor of the universe again. Brilliant to meet everyone and good to chat and make new acquaintances. The weather thank fully didn't go to forecast and the viewing was excellent. Oh and especially Kieran tripping over the tent guy ropes  every two minutes he he he!!!!! 

David, Pete and Martin - I packed my Highland park away, just in case it evaporated tonight  : ))

Tom

Really? Never knew it was there Tom, ah well, maybe next time. ;-)

Sat night sky was awesome you missed some great clear sky mate. Very heavy frosting on every ones gear mind you. I even blew my hairdryer !!

Great company as well, this event  just seems to grow in numbers each year, long may that continue. Special mention tae ''Caravan Mike'' , what a man.

Pete

Hi guys,another great event again with 4 out of 5 good nights viewing.Wed night was very good but the early hours of sunday morning was quite stunning although tempreture dipped below freezin,thanks for the tank suit mike.

Great tó see everyone again & some new faces supporting this great event and tó Lesley & Mike for havin us .

Looking forward to next years already.

Off tó catch-up on some sleep,back to work tommorow :(

Kenny

Hi

This Galloway Camping thing ain't great for the wallet.

On the saturday evening my eq3-2 gave up on me (well the dec motor had enough, but it's my fault for putting too much weight on it)

Having seriously got the imaging bug, and seeing how well the rest of my setup performed, I've replaced it with a new mount.

.........but I seem to have got a different number after the letters EQ  ???? :smiley:

Neil

Archived