Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Birmingham

fletch

Hi

I'm based in Light Polluted Birmingham and i have spent most of my life gazing up at the heavens.

I spent many a night in Sutton Park staring up at the night sky after a few beers in my younger days lol

sadly it took me until X-mas 2011 to aquire my first scope, a SW ST102 with a EQ3-2 mount as a X-mas and early Birthday prezzy

from the wife.

One year on still have the ST102 but now it sits atop of a EQ5 mount but not for long as I have just aquired a SW explorer 150 PDS

which i will eventually use to get me into imaging.

Great to be here, I do not know why i never joined ages ago?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Fletch and welcome to the forum. Along with your purchases to date, I would certainly recommend getting hold of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) if imaging is going to be your goal. It is a comprehensive book that will tell you everything you need to know (...what kit and why you need it) to take good consistent images. Very easy to buy the wrong kit at the start and of course it very much depends on what type of imaging you intend to do, namely solar system or deep sky objects (DSO's) which in turn place their own priorities on the quality of kit used. The book is modestly priced and will get you off on the right footing for sure.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

Welcome to SGL from a fellow brummie. Where do you go star gazing?

Hi Steve, it used to be North Wales Snowdonia, but due to the rates goibg sky high had to get rid of the caravan.Now sadly its the old back garden where lucky enough I don't have any street lights in direct view :)Any how I must not be rude so I thank you all for the warm welcome and for book suggestions, that's one question that I no longer need to ask lol

Hi Fletch,

If you would like to go along to Birmingham Astronomical Society on a Wednesday evening you would be very welcome. Details on their website

http://www.birmingham-astronomy.co.uk/

I have recently started imaging using similar kit to yours, 200P-EQ5, from a very light-polluted site in Birmingham and have had some encouraging results.

Archived