pajj2013

Hello everyone

i am a new member of just a few minutes ago, i have been interested in Astronomy since being a child but never seemed to find the time or the money to seriously do anything about it, after about 18 months of research and trying to save i am excited to say that i envisage obtaining a serious bit of kit (i hope it is anyway) as early as tomorrow, i look forward to learning all i can from the array of experts on here, my first question is this: after scrutinizing so many Telescopes and reading so many reviews i am 99.9% sure that a Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT is the one for me, but just to push that percentage to its 100% limit i turn to you my new friends ha, i bow to your expertise and hope very much that you can help me, i would also like recommendations on the best place to buy the equiptment i so eagerly want, i would be so grateful if you could put my mind at rest and reassure me that i will not be disappointed with my aquisition and that the retailer anyone can recommend is trustworthy, i wait in antisipation for your replies thank you.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL

It might be helpful if you were to explain why you think the 130SLT is the right choice for you. It's hard to say whether it might be or might not be without knowing what you're expecting from it.

James

Hi ,welcome to SGL. Difficult question to answer, as people have said, it depends on what you want to use the scope for, and what your budget is. Maybe a good idea before you spend any money, would be to go along to your local astronomy club, and see what advice people there would give you.

Grant.....

Cornwall......

Hi Pajj2013 welcome to SGL, if i were you i would post again in the getting started thread and have a think about what you want from the telescope, ie- are you more interested in observing planets or would you prefer Deep Sky Objects, or both, also do you intend to do any photography in the future. best get it right first time to save wasting money which could be spend on EP upgrades and sfuff.

good luck and i hope you enjoy the night sky once you make your choice, we all know from experience what a pain it is picking your first telescope.

Hi welcome to SGL. I agree with whats said above, just give us some information about what you want from the hobby and theres plenty of experience and advice that we can give you.

Do you wan't a scope purely for visual work, if so planets mainly or deep sky objects or an alrounder? would you want to use a camera with the scope if so again planetary imaging or Deep sky as these require quite different setups. Does it need to be highly portable? is Goto a must or would you be happy to learn the sky for your self which has the bonus of enabling more of the money to go into the optics as opposed to the electronics.

Cheers

Chris

Hi and welcome to the forum. Grant's suggestion above about going along to your local astro club is a good one. I would add that at the end of the day, only you can decide on whether a scope will meet your expectations given the different purposes a scope can be put to. Personally I would advise going along to a couple of public viewing sessions to try out some kit, to actually look a the view that different types and sizes of scopes produce and decide which one will give you what you want.

Any scope from a major manufacturer (Meade, Celestron and Skywatcher etc) will certainly be worth having as they all have long established expertise in astronomy and on the whole have good quality control over their product ranges. Clearly you get what you pay for and so you can't expect a 6" cassegrain to resolve the sort of detail that a 14" cassegrain can. Dobsonians type scopes provide the best value for money whereas anything with Goto attached comes with an extra price tag. Let us know a little more detail on how you arrived at your decision so that we can all chip in and confirm that your original choice is a good one.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Hi Pajj and welcome to SGL, in joining the forum you will have a wealth of expertise to tap into, but once you go ahead and buy your scope there will be no turning back, if there is still an an element of doubt in your choice, then perhaps hold on a while, till you have been able to assimilate what the membership recommends, a little time researching some more can do no harm, whatever you decide, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Archived