Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie from Scotland

thumbless

Hi all pleased to meet you. :newb:

Could say i am in the Scottish borders location wise, nice to see some Scottish people in here. :hello1:

Bought a scope from liddel a couple of years ago. Optics were like looking through perspex, mount was very shaky even if you touched the eyepiece when you looked through it. As for the viewfinder that was very frustrating to say the least.

Could only find the moon, ended jumping on the scope and flattening it as it was a good waste of £40 quid. :blob: :blob2: :) :blob4: :):smiley::evil::(:clouds1:

Recently i joined Star at night forum which was OK, saw someones link in their username for Astro-Chat and joined that, they were friendly informative and i am still learning from them as their advice is good and informative and as a newbie they do not have you paying megabucks for new kit, they advise good kit for a good price.

Ended up getting a 8" Newt C8N Celestron from Sherwoods for £275/£285 including P+P.

Had issue with cast iron plate having no bolts to fit it to dovetail with.

4 slow motion controls and only 2 plastic knobs which had spring inserts on the shafts which broke the minute i tried taking them off to put on the other side.

Sherwoods told me to use the aluminium dovetail that the scope rails on, i am using that but it is a swine to put on in the dark.

20mm Plossl supplied but all i could see was the moon which is glorious but murder to track with broken knobs.

Saw a thread for eyepieces on Astrochat, Carlos gave some recommendations for an orion scope, i asked if the same specs would do my scope, as my focal length is 1000mm f5.

The answer was yes so i phoned First light Optics, other than he could not understand a word i was saying and had a bad cough was very helpfull in helping me choose eyepieces and plenty of background info, he was very helpfull and knows his stuff. :occasion9: :pottytrain1: :pottytrain2:

Ordered eyepieces yesterday and should get them Monday, no mad rush as i have had blanket cloud for 3 days, and my spring knobs are on order so that will make life a bit easier.

My name is Davey by the way.

:moon:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ordered eyepieces yesterday and should get them Monday, no mad rush as i have had blanket cloud for 3 days, ...

Welcome to SGL Davey - so you are the cause of the cloudy weather then? :smiley: I should point out to you that ordering new kit seems to guarantee cloudy weather...

James

I would not mind joining a club as i am 50 miles from Edinburgh and between Dumfries and Carluke, which are the nearest clubs near me, with Glasgow being a little further on.

Dark skies, yes, near me no, will have to move the scope to clear locations.

Weather Rubbish at the moment, as i am waiting for new eyepieces from FLO, Scope not being used at the moment.

Tanks again for the warm welcomes.

Davey.

:moon:

That would do fine G1ZmO.

I only had my scope for a week now. Had 2 good nights when it was frosty and clear skies.

It is now overcast and raining. :smiley:.

Where abouts near Crawford is it then. Looks like camps reservoir. :pottytrain2:

Will not be long till i will have to find a dark-place my self, to use my light bucket to it's full potential, starting off with the moon. :moon:.

Can not be far away from 3 campsites in the area.

Think there is a club in Clydesdale area Carluke/East-Kilbride.

P.S saw your link along with Dumfries and Clydesdale, they go far enough to get to the dark places. :evil:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived